• Writing a novel & want to get some details right--help, pls?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Holly

Hi, I’m writing a novel where my hero (a kid) has to get from South Amboy to Red Bank, and I’d really appreciate help from the railfan brain trust.

So, you might figure that my hero can just get on a NJ Transit train. Done—the end! Except… he can’t just hop on a commuter train because he’s being chased by bad guys who are looking out for him at the stations. I had two thoughts about how to get him to where he needs to go: (1) somehow get on a geometry/inspection train on that North Coast Jersey Line, or (2) somehow get on a freight train using that line (I believe CSAO has trackage rights with NJ Transit on the North Coast line).

My parameters are that it would have to be at night (so I need a train that runs late), the train would have to slow down enough for him to get on between stations somewhere, and he would have to be able to hide successfully on the train from any personnel.

Questions:
1. Could a geometry/inspection train or a freight train fulfill my parameters? If not, why not?
2. Even if neither does, let’s say for the sake of the story, he can get on one of them. How often do geometry trains run, and how are they staffed?
3. How often do freight trains run on the North Coast line, and where can I find a schedule?
4. What sort of security could he expect to run into in this scenario?

Thanks so much for any suggestions/comments you have. These fora are such a great resource!
Holly
  by RussNelson

There was a problem with the voltage on the catenary, which is usually caused by a limb falling on the line. They sent out an inspection train (self-powered), which stopped at various places, including the two where your protagonist got on and off. He was lucky in that they were looking forward along their route, not backwards at him. This was a rather strange trouble report, because the limb was nowhere near a tree. It was almost as if someone threw it up there. Well, they've seen stranger things.
  by Holly

RussNelson, thanks so much for your idea! It's exactly the kind of creative suggestion I was hoping to find here.

Is an inspection train the same as a track geometry inspection train?
Where would they send it from? The nearest station?
How fast do inspection trains go and what do they look like?

Thanks--really grateful for your response...

By the way, it is really cool that you've posted NYS DOT's inventory of abandoned railroads. It's the kind of information that sparks the imagination...
  by mmi16

Geometry Inspection trains normally operate during daylight hours and in addition to technicians operating the measuring equipment also have Division Engineering officials along 'for the ride' so they can direct their subordinates on where remedial actions need to be taken. These inspection trains normally operate at maximum authorized speed. Geometry Inspection trains are operated on a periodic basis all over a carriers territories, more frequently on high volume routes than on low volume routes.
  by Holly

Thank you, mmi16! I do love RussNelson's idea about "calling" a TGIV by monkeying with the catenary, but seeing as how they normally run during the day, are generally small vehicles, and seem to be staffed by multiple personnel, perhaps I should go with the freight train idea… I just can't figure how the hero could know or ensure that the freight train would be running slow enough at South Amboy/Red Bank to hop on/off… Ideas welcome!!!

Thanks again. :-D
  by mmi16

Holly wrote:Thank you, mmi16! I do love RussNelson's idea about "calling" a TGIV by monkeying with the catenary, but seeing as how they normally run during the day, are generally small vehicles, and seem to be staffed by multiple personnel, perhaps I should go with the freight train idea… I just can't figure how the hero could know or ensure that the freight train would be running slow enough at South Amboy/Red Bank to hop on/off… Ideas welcome!!!

Thanks again. :-D
If this is signalled territory - have a piece of metal to shunt across the rails, thus producing a track occupancy indication that will drop the signals covering the track segment to their most restictive indications and train accepting these signals will be proceeding at Restricted Speed (a speed that will permit stopping within 1/2 the range of vision, not to exceed 15 MPH).