• Different Diagrams of Penn Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by markhb

One of the other threads ("Better Penn Station", perhaps?) had a photo of the current Penn Station guide maps showing the concourses and how they connect. If anyone has those links I think they would go well in this thread (since tying in the concourses better for those of us who don't really know the station would be helpful).

The track maps are awesome!
  by ThirdRail7

For the record, the catenary has been "temporarily" removed on tracks 21 through 18 for 8 months with no sign of return. Another factor that isn't mentioned on your write up is the positioning of trains that will lay up in Penn Station itself. NJT has several trains that lay up in E yard, A and D yards. Amtrak will also lay up Keystones in the same yards on occasions. They are also not accessible from all points, so the equipment must be positioned appropriately upon arrival in the station.
  by Greg Moore

Reminds me, and may be too much detail, but not sure if you want to add that since the Empire Connection is a single-tracked tunnel, that definitely impacts how trains can enter/leave the station (i.e. at times I've sat outside the tunnel at the end of the double-track section waiting for a NB train to come through.)

But overall, I love the page and btw, particular the graphical design. I think it's got the right level of abstractness to make it clear.
  by lirr42

ThirdRail7 wrote:For the record, the catenary has been "temporarily" removed on tracks 21 through 18 for 8 months with no sign of return.
Mr. ThirdRail, not to doubt your claim, but I was in NYP earlier today and looking up above tracks 18 through 21 I noticed there was what looked like overhead wires above those tracks. Here's a photo of 19 track and 21 track both showing there are things that look like overhead wires. Perhaps they're de-energized?
  by ApproachMedium

Wire goes in to those tracks from the EAST end to points midway in the tracks where there are AC MOTOR STOP signs in the wire. It is considered out of service for overhead operation as per the bulletin orders. The wire only needed to be removed on the west in KN so they just took what was on that side out.
  by bleet

I'll add another update/correction. NJ Transit trains for sure go as high as track 14 because mine left from there last night. (It doesn't happen often but that's not the first time I've boarded there.)