Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Penn Central

Noel Weaver wrote:Joseph Guilietti has had a lot of experience in operations. He began his career in train service around the time that Metro-North began their operations or maybe a little bit before that
Sorry Noel, but Joe Guiletti started his railroad career as a trainman with Penn Central in 1974. Metro-North didn't come around for another 9 years. I remember when he was a Transportation Superintendent with Metro-North. I remember one thing he did for me. I had a fatal accident on the Harlem Line with a young man who dove in front of my train at Croton Falls. I took two days off and Joe Guiletti signed the timeslips for me to get paid. He knew I was upset and taking two days off was not "milking it".
  by Noel Weaver

Penn Central wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:Joseph Guilietti has had a lot of experience in operations. He began his career in train service around the time that Metro-North began their operations or maybe a little bit before that
Sorry Noel, but Joe Guiletti started his railroad career as a trainman with Penn Central in 1974. Metro-North didn't come around for another 9 years. I remember when he was a Transportation Superintendent with Metro-North. I remember one thing he did for me. I had a fatal accident on the Harlem Line with a young man who dove in front of my train at Croton Falls. I took two days off and Joe Guiletti signed the timeslips for me to get paid. He knew I was upset and taking two days off was not "milking it".
Thank you for that, I couldn't remember just when he came but I thought it was well before Metro-North.
Noel Weaver
  by Clean Cab

I don't think a lot of what happened recently on MN is all his fault. He just kept up the standard MN policy of their invincibility and to always keep their eyes on the seemingly impressive ridership numbers. While at the same time ignoring voices of warnings from the field. MN also had the poor judgment to let several well experienced supervisors leave to work with other railroads or agencies, and replace them with in house personnel who were unqualified for such jobs. Management jobs were filled more with "team players" and almost never with those that suggested taking a different path. This attitude started in the early 1990's and was encouraged along the way by MN getting high praises by organizations like APTA which fed their ego even more. It wasn't until the blizzard of January 9, 1996 that MN had the first of many failures of judgment by trying to outthink nature and ignore all the obvious warnings that a blizzard was coming and gambled on continuing to run a full schedule of trains. Needless to say it was a disasterous decision which cost MN millions in damages and the first of many public black eyes.

So to blame all of MN's recent mishaps on Howard Permut isn't completely fair. I wish his successor the best in his efforts to reform MN. He will certainly have his hands full.
  by Noel Weaver

During my time with Metro-North from 1983 to 1987 they had some highly qualified officials who they did not see fit to advance to higher positions when higher positions opened up. Politics probably came in to play when these moves occurred. Stuff like this is certainally not encouraging to officials at all levels and in my opinion is not at all fair to them either. Joe Giulietti will certainally have his hands full. I read on another forum of another scandal on Metro-North concerning an operating employee. I am going to church this morning and when I return I will find that post and try to enter it here if nobody else has by then.
Noel Weaver
  by Fishrrman

Joe G. was an engineer back with Conrail and an instructor in the engineer training program in New Haven when I went through it in 1980. I believe he was a "1975 hire" on the CR District F engineer roster.

I always knew him to be a stand-up type of guy.
Great to see him in a position of real influence.

(Although I'm wondering why they passed over Sherri Herrington. Is she still there, or has she retired?)
  by Clean Cab

Sherry Herrington left MN under very unpleasant circumstances. She is officially retired.
  by DutchRailnut

and she is part of problems MN now faces, the people she surrounded herself with, are now running the Circus .

Thank God their bringing Joe in, he should have had the job years ago..