• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by northjerseybuff

any updates on the work? is it completed yet?
  by markyk

Sunday Nights 11-17 SU-100 detouring through Selkirk on account of Bridge work at Lackawaxen......
  by Autoblock

Guess the bridge is going to be able to accept heavier tonnage as well
  by northjerseybuff

Has the work been completed in Binghamton? now that freezing temps and snow is here, I was curious if the new track was finished.
  by dtravisjr

Drove by today and it looks like all of the construction work has been completed for now. Everything appears to be in service and cars are parked on the new sidings. The SD70's and SD45's that are for sale are also parked on one of the new tracks east of McDonalds on Court St. Even with the new trackage, there are still a lot of cars (mostly those empty FURX "dirty dirt" gons and frac sand hoppers) sitting on both the Erie mains between BD and the old CP Coles. From the sounds and looks of things, the sidings will eventually be extended, maybe when the weather breaks in the spring?

Dave
  by northjerseybuff

Happy New Year everyone! 2014 same old, same old for the east end!
  by SecaucusJunction

Good thing I didn't renew that bet from last year!
  by SecaucusJunction

While I wouldn't go jumping up and down just yet by any means, NS new "Port Connectivity" map/initiative was released today. It clearly shows the Eastern Tier to be used for rail shipments from PANYNJ to New England and Canada. This is the first time that NS, publicly, has acknowledged they still have plans on the table for the line. It also seems to indicate that the current NJ container routing via Allentown and Scranton may be on borrowed time as business grows and quicker transit times are required. The map is on the below link as well as contact information at NS.

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en ... ivity.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts?
  by charlie6017

Thanks for posting this........though I wonder why the Toronto-bound traffic wouldn't be
routed via Buffalo, unless there isn't enough capacity via NS or on the Canadian side with
CP or CN, whomever NS would be partnering with?

Charlie
  by SecaucusJunction

You are right... it is a very odd routing. I do wonder if this is because they do not feel that Portage Bridge can handle any increased traffic. They were pretty gung-ho about service direct to the "Buffalo Gateway" for the longest time.
  by s4ny

They mention the Port of Buffalo, but do not show it on the map.
  by charlie6017

SecaucusJunction wrote:You are right... it is a very odd routing. I do wonder if this is because they do not feel that Portage Bridge can handle any increased traffic. They were pretty gung-ho about service direct to the "Buffalo Gateway" for the longest time.
That could be the entire reason, the bridge.

Here's a pdf that I saw posted on another forum that I am a member of. It may even be something
you and others have seen before, but interesting nonetheless.

Charlie

http://www.roadsbridges.com/sites/defau ... RB1113.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by poppyl

I'm with you, Charlie. Once the bridge is completed, the Toronto-Bingo line will be redrawn through Buff and down the western Tier. D&H still gets the Montreal and NE traffic. Bingo's role grows as the central point. All of this makes sense to free up capacity east of H-burg for the Crescent Corridor traffic growth to/from NJ. Also maintains a backup if something major were to ever happen between H-burg and NJ.

Poppyl
  by northjerseybuff

Good news indeed. When will this service begin? and what is the status of Portageville? Is it being replaced?
  by charlie6017

Here is information right from the NY DOT website ;-)
The current status of the project is In Development.
The Bid Opening is expected to be in Fall 2014.
Construction is expected to begin in Fall 2014.
Construction is expected to be completed in Spring 2016.
Portageville Bridge Project

Now remember that things might not really get rolling until the Panama Canal project is completed
and the Bayonne Bridge project is finished to raise the roadway and create clearance so the new
Panamax ships can reach Newark Bay.

Bayonne Bridge Clearance Project

And then? Make trips along the old "Delaware Division" and get shots trackside along the beautiful
scenery!! :-D

Charlie