• Favorite Revenue Train And Why?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by CentralValleyRail

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but for all of you railfans and commuters alike:

1. What train is your favorite train to ride or watch pass by
?

(By train number I mean 1150,3703,850 etc) Example: Train 70 to Hoboken because it's the first train of the morning.

2. Is it an Express or Local and what line does it run on?

3. If it's not currently running when did it run?

Feel free to throw any additional details you want as to why it's your favorite, etc... If it's a tie list them all haha!

For myself hmm I'm going to have to do some thinking. I definitely like PJL 50 and 59 because of how far they run Express but have never personally ridden them.

I'll throw in mine within the next couple of days!
  by R36 Combine Coach

-"The Clipper" (59), super-express

Gone but not forgotten: 1104, a fast AM express from Suffern, nonstop Ramsey-SEC. Last ran perhaps in 2009-10.
  by oknazevad

Pascack Valley #1627. That's the train that my dad would take to get home most every day. It was going to pick him up and seeing the power if those trains that made me a railfan. It still runs the same schedule after these years, arriving in Hillsdale at 5:50, just like always.
  by CNJGeep

660, the Port Jeff Flyer.
  by srock1028

Anything with an odd number as the last digit. Means its a go home train. 2303, 3251 and 3255 for starters, and all three are "express."
  by ns3010

Whichever one gets me where I'm going when I need it to.
  by amtrakhogger

Any NEC super express (3900 trains) that runs from to/from Newark and Princeton Jct with no intermediate stops (i.e. New Brunswick or Jersey Ave.)
  by blockline4180

The Tom Taber Express, but that doesn't run anymore!!!
  by BigDell

#3704 that hits Metropark at 6:24AM. It still runs a bunch of old Pennsy MP54's and I can crank open the windows.

No, just kidding.

I do like that train though, it's the fastest NJT into Penn Stn in the morning (one of the few listed at less than 40 mins travel time) and it's comfy and never crowded. Plus you catch a great sunrise as you head into the city during the winter months...

The other choice would be just about anything running down the NJCL. I love sitting on the shore side heading south, it's a really nice ride along the water.
  by pateljones

No. 3804 on the NEC, Trenton-PJ-Newark and running nonstop from PJ on an inside track. Pre-Hamilton Station of course. That train was a rocket.
  by 25Hz

The double ended 12 car NEC super express.

Stops were NYP-NWK-PJCT-HAM-TRE.

And why? It was very fast, and the extra cars did the trick of abating standing room only conditions that plague 10 car push pull trains. Plus, a purposely doubled locomotive train is pretty rare anywhere in the US outside of amtrak's long distance routes. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em3lh9ezEF4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Port Jervis

Mine was 2301 (I think that was the number), the 8:30 AM train from Hoboken to Bay Head. It ran non-stop from NWK to Long Branch. Got cut in August 2008. Rode it in the winter of that year and we had like 4 people on it out of Newark.
  by ScottTheNiceGuy

Port Jervis wrote:Mine was 2301 (I think that was the number), the 8:30 AM train from Hoboken to Bay Head. It ran non-stop from NWK to Long Branch. Got cut in August 2008. Rode it in the winter of that year and we had like 4 people on it out of Newark.
I remember when I went to Kean(2006-2008) I would take 2304 from Bay Head up to NWK and then transfer to the RVL en route to Union; one summer(2006) I took a Calc II class and so I would take 2306 and get to NWK by about 8:25.....are you still with me? Haha

Now at 8:50 you'd have (I believe it was) 5416 on Track 5 ready to depart for Raritan, you'd have 2308 pulling in on either Track A or Track 2 to and then 2301 would pull in on Track 3. You'd usually have three Geeps(or two Geeps and an F40) tearing up Newark Penn Station and it was great! :-D