• Forced to join a Rail Union?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Desertdweller

kieth,

That is right. You make your own luck.

As far as sheer numbers of workers go, we are a fairly small industry. If you deduct the numbers of workers who work for Class Ones (and, presumably, are happy to do so and want to stay where they are), the numbers are much smaller. Of that, the numbers who are capable of moving between railroads are smaller still.
Some little railroads are run by people with the philosophy of hiring local people with no railroad background, teaching them only what the management wants them to know, and setting their wages just a notch higher than the local grain elevator pays. It is difficult for such operations to turn out good railroaders. If some manage to emerge, they are apt to go over the hill to real railroads.

I have found regionals to be the best compromise. They are big enough to have division of labor, diverse traffic bases, and real operating schemes beyond "yard limits" or "block register". They are also small enough that everyone knows everyone else and the employees can be on a first-name basis with upper management. Personally, I like that. Others may not.

In general, I am satisfied with the way things turned out for me. That does not make me one of the people who say "If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't change anything". I get the feeling that people who say that haven't learned much from life.

COEN and Gadfly would probably agree with me that a railroad career is a calling. It is certainly not a "job". A "job" is what your non-railroading friends do for a living. Railroading itself is a living, a lifestyle. Commitment to it is not the same as commitment to a company. It is far bigger than any one railroad company. Management knows this as well as any boomer engineer or conductor. Look at the resume's of railroad execs. They move from railroad to railroad, taking skills they have learned with them.

What I am trying to say here is there is not a "right" or "wrong" approach in terms of union or non-union. Find a deal you like, or at least one you can live with, and stick with it until you have good reason to leave. If you hire out to a union railroad, don't bad-mouth the union- they are supposed to be helping you.
If you hire onto a non-union railroad, don't go around griping that you want a union. No one forced you to hire on. It is easier to switch than to fight. Either way, don't make yourself a problem to others.

Les
  by COEN77

In most post explaining the railroad as a carreer I've made it known it's a lifestyle not just a job. If someone just want a job don't work for the railroad. You're on call to the railroad 24/7 can't really say 365 anymore with the manditory FRA time off after working 6 & 7 days straight. If they're short handed which is most of the time a person can be forced to run up to work vacancies if they get you on the phone. You leave home no telling when you'll get back. It has to get in your system to be able to endure it's hardships. No animosity for missing family functions, holidays, childrens school & sports activities ect....disappointment that's a given. It's an individuals choice if it doesn't fit they can always quit. If a union doesn't work for someone go to a shortline non-union railroad pay isn't the same but some are part of the Railroad Retirement System.
  by 3rdrail

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't run, not walk to the union once they have joined a railroad. On top of all the schemes that the company may play, any job where there is a connection with dealing with members of the general public is highly volatile. They will lie up and down and be pitied for a story that George Lucas would be proud of just to secure a couple of dimes from your pocket !
  by Engineer Spike

I've had a thought based on this thread. About 10 years ago, several car dealerships were advertising no negotiation sales. Even the whole Saturn brand was sold at a fixed price.

When Wisconsin Central started, Trains article was about the supposedly friendly relationship between labor and management. It wasn't too long before that road organized. We all know what labor baiting practices Mr.Bernhardt has pulled since. I work in Quebec, and he and his one man circus are still front page, a month after the accident!
  by wolfman

matawanaberdeen wrote:Oh boy, if I respond to this thread I'll get thrown off this board forever and probably investigated by the FBI. I will just say this, freeloaders make me sick. Want all the good stuff, but don't want to pay the dues every else sacrificed to get it that way.
second that.