Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by khansingh

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. It'll be strange to look out my window and not see these trains.
  by Clean Cab

M4's had a "mini CSR" of sorts. All the static inverters (made by Toshiba) that were built with the M4's "A" and "D" cars were replaced with the same ones (made by Sepsa) used on all M2's that went through the CSR program. No M6 has had any kind of upgrade or overhaul.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Noting that as of 10/15/2012 that there are 156 M8 cars delivered to MNCR does
anyone have any recent retirement numbers for the M2 cars?

MACTRAXX
  by Jeff Smith

Havent seen any scrapping information yet; anyone know what's left of the fleet? Was on an M2 set a couple weekends ago; broke down on the GCT platform. Mad rush to go four tracks for another set (may have been M4's).
  by Clean Cab

I don't have exact numbers, but about 1/3 of the M2 fleet has been retired and/or sent out for scrapping.
  by Patrick A.

Saw what I think were a set of M2's in a yard outside of Hartford while riding up to SPG on Amtrak. Pantographs had been taken off, indicating that they appeared to be heading to the scrapper.
  by SwingMan

I'm kind of surprised there has been hardly a peep about any M2 retirements at all..
  by khansingh

What's the word on preservation? I had read, maybe on this forum, that a pair would go to DRM. Any truth in that?
  by Clean Cab

I've heard that the Danbury Railway Museum has expressed interest in accepting at least one pair of M2s. I'm certain that MN/CDOT will donate a pair or two. I'm hopeful that one pair will be a bar car pair.
  by DutchRailnut

Cocktails at DRM new years event ??
  by Backshophoss

The "C" car(Bar car) was unique to the New Haven line,would be nice to save at least 1 of them.
  by Clean Cab

DutchRailnut wrote:Cocktails at DRM new years event ??
They could use it a refreshment/consession stand, but knowing the DRM as I do, they'd most likely keep it locked up. :(
  by DutchRailnut

I think the Danbury Rust Museum has enough projects to try to turn it into a Danbury Railway museum.
an M-2 would just be another unmovable object, taking up 10 x 170 feet of a small yard.
for acces they would need platforms and power to cars to prevent injuries.
  by Jeff Smith

A bar car would be an interesting venue for event rentals. I'm not sure how much rehab would be involved if it were a static display with the exception of how to power lights and HVAC. And, you could gut the second car.
  by pbass

I'm the person who suggested the preservation of a pair of M2 cars since the previous administration didnot heed my advice to save a pair of M1's.It is a shame that other classes of MTA Metro-North electric cars are not preserved.Of the 948 M1's built,only 4 cars are saved by LIRR and none of the Penn Central cars were.The M2's were delivered with Penn Central under the engineer's cab window until the last group were accepted in the spring of 1976.Along with preservation, should include a discriptive history of what is being saved for those who are less knowledgeable of the subject.Further incidentals will be dealt with in the future.First order of business is the acquisition of the cars desired.