• Need some Cajon help

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by roberttosh

Hi Folks,

I'm an Easterner heading out to Corona, CA to visit some family and was looking for some advice on Cajon Pass. I have a day to kill so am figuring that's the closest hot spot to get to and I like the mountains as there isn't much of that on the East coast. For starters, is the place easy to get to? I can read a map but have no idea where it is. Also, how far is it from Corona? Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

by The S.P. Caboose

Cajon Pass runs along Highways 215 and 15 between I-10 and I-40.

If you're coming in on I-40 when you arrive at Barstow there's a big BNSF yard at this location. This is the northern point of Cajon Pass. The BNSF runs to the southeast thru San Bernardino to Los Angeles and San Diego. The Barstow to San Bernardino section is better knoen as Cajon pass. Travel along Highway 15, you'll travel parallel the tracks in Cajon Pass from Barstow to the south.

If you're coming in on I-10, once you get to Pepper Avenue, you'll be at the east end of West Colton Yard. Towards the east from here is Beamont Hill, which has been known to have 6,000 ton hot shots and 14,000 ton drag freights, everything in between. Just east of Pepper Avenue there are the UP tracks that cross I-10. This is known here in Southern California as the Palmdale Colton Cutoff. The Cutoff parrallels the BNSF tracks thru Devore (about where the 15 and 215 split is on the Barstow side of things) travels thru Cajon Pass leading to Tehachapi Loop.

Metrolink has a yard in San Bernardino. This is the former ATSF San Bernardino yard. It's also, in a way the southern end of Cajon Pass.

Devore is a good spot to railfan. The UP tracks and the BNSF tracks are about 50 feet apart. There can also be some long trains rolling thru this area. Possible to see 100+ car trains.

If you bring a scanner with you, 160.590 is the road frequency between Barstow and Lynwood on the BNSF. 161.190 is the BNSF road frequency between Lynwood and San Bernardino. 161.550 is the UP road channel between West Colton and Slover. 160.320 is the UP road channel between Slover and Bakersfield.

If you bring a camera, bring lots of film for the still pictures. If a cam corder is what you bring, bring a couple vhs or dvd with you. Very good scenery in this area.

If you're a member of triple A, get a street map os San Bernardino, California as well as Barstow. A freeway map would also be a good idea.

by roberttosh

Thanks much for the info! Looking at a map, I guess I would be heading to the Cajon Pass area up I-15 North. Is Sullivan's Curve in this general area, I've read about that place many times and think it may be a good place to visist. I'm not into too much hiking, more looking for easy access to trackside off of the highway. Thanks again for all the great info!

by The S.P. Caboose

Yes Sullivan's Curve is in the Cajon Pass area. As you travel north past San Bernardino almost at Highway 138 should be an exist for Cajon Blvd. It may also be marked as Route 66. The BNSF tracks will part ways for a small amount of space. One track turns left (about 90 degrees) and curves back towards the other main line. This is Sullivan's Curve. Travelling north on I-15 you'll merger onto I-215.

Lots of railfans use their vehicles to get to this area. There is a huge rock cut behind the tracks, so the train will look to be dwarfed be the rocks. It also has a smaller grade (2.2% I think) as opposed to the other mainline which travels straight thru (3.2% I think).

Another some what popular spot is at Devore. If you're head north on I-15 exit (if you're interested) at Glen Helen Parkway. Take a right off the freeway heading away from I-15 and towards I-215 you'll come to three mainlines. One is the former Southern Pacific, now Union Pacific and the other two are BNSF track, with Union Pacific trackage rights. These three tracks are about 50 feet apart. It's possible to see three 100+ cars freights at the same time.

Anyway, enjoy the trip and visit here. :P

by The S.P. Caboose

Just a note if you decide to visit Devore. On the BNSF, it's marked as Devore; on the UP former SP it's marked as Dike. Both are the same place.

by roberttosh

Did a little investigating on Mapquest and also did a google search on Cajon Pass and correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like only one of the BNSF mains goes through Sullivan's curve, along with the UP main. Granted, this would still be a very busy area (especially for a New Englander where a line that sees 4 freights a day is considered real busy), but would Devore be a better spot as you pointed out with all three main lines side by side? Am assuming Sullivan's has the better scenery, but if Devore has 30 or 40 more trains per day, that might be the safer bet? Sorry to be asking so many questions :-)

by The S.P. Caboose

Sullivan's Curve is better for pictures, by far. I was out there this past weekend and UP has trackage rights on the BNSF. BNSF has a 2 mainline system in place. There is a "ledge" that has a set of tracks which is Union Pacific's mainline between West Colton and Sacramento. The BNSF mainlines are between Barstow and San Bernardino. Once again in this area a railfan can possibly see three 100+ car trains with possibly 8 or more locomotives on the train.

The only real plus for Devore is that the trains are about 50 feet apart. The traffic that passes thru Devore will also pass thru Sullivan's Curve. No need to worry which spot has more trains, they're equal.

Visually, it's a little better from Sullivan's Curve because you'll be in a place where you can see all three trains consist as opposed to trying to look inbetween the cars to see one of the trains.

In this area, either place, I've seen about 36 trains, on a busy day in about 8 hours. Union Pacific also places rear helpers or pushers on some of their trains, the loaded coal trains that heads south towards San Bernardino. It's manifest, intermodel and unit trains that will give most of the action.

The UP action on the elevated tracks pass over Tehachapi to the north Cajon Pass and some of the traffic travels over Beamont Hill. The big three railfan places in Southern California.

Don't worry about how many questions are beng asked, it's no problem. :-) I'd rather know you had a great time railfanning here, thats more important IMO. :P

by roberttosh

Thanks for the patience :-)

OK, so at Sullivan's curve, both BNSF mains are in view of each other? From some of the websites I was looking at, they kept on refering to track 1 or track 2 (can't remember which) and the UP main. Seemed like one of the BNSF mains veered off on a different path through that area? If I get off I-15 at Cleghorn Rd, it seems like the 2 BNSF mains are right there, but the UP main is across that little stream. I guess I just want to find a place where all 3 lines are in sight, but that also has good mountain scenery, so am guessing Devore is probably not the best spot for me. I'm also assuming that once I get to the general area, I'll be able to do a little investigating myself and perhaps find some good spots using that method. One last question, any advice on snakes and that kind of thing? The last thing I need is to get bitten by a Rattle snake out there. Thanks again, you've been a really big help and I can't wait to get out there!

by The S.P. Caboose

Both BNSF tracks are within view at Sullivan's Curve. :P The #1 or North track veers away from the #2 or South track. The North track is what's known as Sullivan's Curve. UP tracks are above the north track, so all three tracks are in view. This is mountain railroading. I don't know of any bad places for photography, so all the places should be good.

Rattle snacks are there. Just be carefull around the brush, they usually hide in the area. i hope you don't get bit, but Dr. Bush at Loma Linda hospital has a great reputation in Southern California. He's interested in snakes and works the venom ER at Loma Linda. Carry a cell phone just in case.

If you have a friend that has the Pentrex video of Cajon Pass/Tehachapi Loop, you might want to borrow it. The first half of the tape is on Cajon Pass and shows all the places. I believe they even show a DDA40X on Sullivan's Curve. This tape can help out as far as reference go. They show all the good places to railfan. Another idea might be to check out hobby shops or video stores to see if they'll rent out this tape to you.

It sounds like Sullivan's Curve will be the best spot for you. The two best things I can say are: enjoy the railfanning and be safe. :-)

by roberttosh

Thanks again for all the great info! I'll let you know how I did when I get back in next week :-)

by roberttosh

OK, this is the LAST question - I promise :-)

How about the Silverwood area? My cousin who lives out there and who knows I'm wanting to watch trains, has a co-worker who knows the area well and he mentioned that Silverwood Creek Rd is where alot of people go to watch trains. Saw some pictures of that area on Railpictures.com and it look pretty good with all three tracks running near each other with some pretty rugged scenery. Is this near I-15? Can't find any town called Silverwood on Mapquest. Thanks again, you've been a very big help! :-)

by The S.P. Caboose

There is a Silverwood. It's on the north end of Cajon Pass near where the BNSF/UP and UP split. As you head north from Sullivan's Curve, you'll pass Stein's Hill, Alray, and Gish. This will be in an area where the tracks get together after being split apart at Sullivan's Curve. Just to the north of Silverwood is the town of Hiland and after that is Summit. The 15 is on the west side of the tracks at this point. In this area the BNSF tracks will continue in a northeast direction to Barstow while the UP tracks will turn northwest and head towards Palmdale Junction and on to Tehachapi.

Silverwood is near tunnels 1 and 2 on the Cajon Pass area, the only two tunnels on the line.

It's between Stein's Hll and Alray were the 15 cross over the railroad tracks.

I hope this helps out.

Ask as many questions as you like, not a problem. :wink:

by Paul

Dont forget Blue Cut on old Rt66 and then get off I-15 at Rt138, turn left and go to the railroad over pass. Look to your half right and there will be Morman Rocks on the SP Palmdale line. Very nice scenic back drop.

by roberttosh

Well, I finally made it back and all I can say is WOW! Started at the Cleghorn Rd exit where the North track curves away to Sullivans Curve and saw 4 trains in about 5 minutes (already more than you see in a full day out in New England). Spoke with a local railfan who was there taking shots and he told me how to get to Sullivans, so we got back on the highway and got off at 138, went left, up and over and under the 3 tracks, then took a left and a left up to the UP Main which we drove along to Sullivans (we walked the last 1/4 mile or so as it looked pretty tight to drive through some of those cuts). Was at Sullivans @ two hours and saw 3 BNSF Intermodal trains chug up the curve and a couple go by on the further away south track - one with an all NS consist. What I found most interesting about Sullivans is that you see a train rolling by (almost rolling away from you at that point) in the distance near I-15 and you assume it's on the other track as it doesn't look possible that that train could ever make the twists and turns to get to Sullivans, then all of a sudden there it is right in front of you - the alignment of the tracks in that area is really amazing! The UP main looks like a heavy duty line with welded rail and concrete ties, but saw nothing roll by while up on the curve and in fact only saw one go by the 4 or so hours we were there (although it's possible we missed one while driving around and while getting food). Then went back to Cleghorn and saw a few more trains and noticed a stopped BNSF train way down the hill at the start of the straight away. Several BNSF pickup trucks were on the scene and when we left, the power had disconnected from the train and was being worked on by several people. As we drove back South on I-15, it was obvious this breakdown was causing major delays as there were trains stacked up like cordwood all the way to the point where I-15 crosses the over the 3 mains, which I think is at Devore.

All in all, a great day with beautiful scenery and tons of trains and I still can't get over just how big those mountains are out there! Thanks again for all the help. I hope to get back there some day! :-)

by The S.P. Caboose

Hi roberttosh;

Happy to hear of your time out here. For those of us who live in the area it's more of "just another day" and is hard for us to get visitors well preped for the action, scenery and the rest. :wink:

Cajon Pass is one of three well known places to railfan. Feel free to visit again. This is BNSF's only way into Southern California, so they normally have quit a few trains rolling in and out. For UP, you were able to see two of their five ways in and out of Southern California.

Hope you got plenty of pictures to show your friends and family.