Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by CNJGeep

DutchRailnut wrote:faster move and after all its passenger equipment.
Is there any speed restriction on the Multilevels in MNCR territory?
  by DutchRailnut

I am sure they put some restriction on them from Croton to CP12 as MNCR third rail is higher than LIRR. but im not sure what it was.
I doubt the move, with that many cars, was made at speeds higher than 60/70 for entire trip through New York.
  by gregorygrice

DutchRailnut wrote:I am sure they put some restriction on them from Croton to CP12 as MNCR third rail is higher than LIRR. but im not sure what it was.
I doubt the move, with that many cars, was made at speeds higher than 60/70 for entire trip through New York.
Yeah it seemed like they maintained 60 through Hastings. I was surprised that they didn't sway as much as the current MLVs
  by braves

Does anyone have a list on what Arrow III or Comet cars as well as locomotives were damaged during Hurracaine Sandy and when will these cars and locomotives be put back into passenger service.
  by blockline4180

braves wrote:Does anyone have a list on what Arrow III or Comet cars as well as locomotives were damaged during Hurracaine Sandy and when will these cars and locomotives be put back into passenger service.
I have no idea how long it will take to restore them, but they will be fixed at some point.

Here is another "fact finding" article:
In all, 261 of NJ Transit’s passenger railcars and 63 of its locomotives sustained damage and are in line for repairs, said spokesman John Durso Jr. An estimate of the cost to repair the damage is not yet available, Durso said. The agency has 203 locomotives and 1,162 cars.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/state/N ... l?page=all
  by 25Hz

Jtgshu wrote:HAHAHH Sirsonic for the win!!!!

So, what you guys are saying is that a video from 9 years ago ISN'T proof that NJT is borrowing Amtrak equipment for this week?

But i saw it on the internet! In a press release!!!

:)

I really needed a good laugh, thanks fellas!!! I feel so much better now!
I posted the video to show that modifications to 46's were not needed and such moves had been done before.

And i'm not guessing or making things up, it's called putting 2 and 2 together. I happen to be a lot better informed with real actual facts than i'm ever given credit for here. That's ok, but everyone who rags on me needs to realize that i'm not some crazed foamer, and being wrong does nothing for me. Why would i want to be wrong? I want to be correct and informed with facts. That's who i am and always have and will be. Just because i sometimes get bad info doesn't mean i made it up myself. I mean hell i'm a travel planner, don't you think i'd like to stay on top of these developments for the sake of folks i'm giving travel info to?

Anyways. as i said before..... I'm glad there seems to be a general attitude of "lets do everything we can to help" vs "lets let it hit the fan" as so often has happened in the past. It seems that for once people are in consensus that the situation caused by hurricane sandy was a mountain of issues operationally compounded by the human personal toll of people losing their lives and homes, and to drop everything to fix the problems and offer solutions vs barriers.

You, JT yourself said you were affected, and i'm glad you got a chuckle at my expense. I've seen in person what this storm did to parts of NY and NJ. It is terrible. I'm just glad you are ok and that NJT is getting all the help it needs to get the vitally needed transport infrastructure back up and running. If i were a railroader and was able to do something to help, i would, but all i can do is sit here and watch it all unfold.
  by morris&essex4ever

So there was no real press release about Amtrak loaning Amfleets to NJT.
  by Erie Limited

I just posted this reply in the ML thread, but I see a similar discussion taking place here, so I'll re-post:

I heard an "MMC Extra" talking to the Conrail North Jersey dispatcher early this afternoon. Curious as to what it was, I headed over to Dunellen Station and waited. It turned out to be 4303 & 4300 leading the consist of 21 new MLs west. I assume they were headed to Raritan:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=415138

Rob
  by gregorygrice

morris&essex4ever wrote:So there was no real press release about Amtrak loaning Amfleets to NJT.
Amtrak squires 20 VIA cars so that Amfleets can be used on NJT NEC trains.
  by DutchRailnut

don't think so. the VIA leasers are to free up cars from upstate to fill in on NEC holiday extra's. not NJT trains.
  by gregorygrice

Erie Limited wrote:I just posted this reply in the ML thread, but I see a similar discussion taking place here, so I'll re-post:

I heard an "MMC Extra" talking to the Conrail North Jersey dispatcher early this afternoon. Curious as to what it was, I headed over to Dunellen Station and waited. It turned out to be 4303 & 4300 leading the consist of 21 new MLs west. I assume they were headed to Raritan:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=415138

Rob
Wow those things are really traveling!
  by gregorygrice

DutchRailnut wrote:don't think so. the VIA leasers are to free up cars from upstate to fill in on NEC holiday extra's. not NJT trains.
Oh ok, makes better sense. Thanks for the clearification.
  by Sirsonic

25Hz wrote:I posted the video to show that modifications to 46's were not needed and such moves had been done before.

And i'm not guessing or making things up, it's called putting 2 and 2 together. I happen to be a lot better informed with real actual facts than i'm ever given credit for here. That's ok, but everyone who rags on me needs to realize that i'm not some crazed foamer, and being wrong does nothing for me. Why would i want to be wrong? I want to be correct and informed with facts. That's who i am and always have and will be. Just because i sometimes get bad info doesn't mean i made it up myself. I mean hell i'm a travel planner, don't you think i'd like to stay on top of these developments for the sake of folks i'm giving travel info to?

Anyways. as i said before..... I'm glad there seems to be a general attitude of "lets do everything we can to help" vs "lets let it hit the fan" as so often has happened in the past. It seems that for once people are in consensus that the situation caused by hurricane sandy was a mountain of issues operationally compounded by the human personal toll of people losing their lives and homes, and to drop everything to fix the problems and offer solutions vs barriers.

You, JT yourself said you were affected, and i'm glad you got a chuckle at my expense. I've seen in person what this storm did to parts of NY and NJ. It is terrible. I'm just glad you are ok and that NJT is getting all the help it needs to get the vitally needed transport infrastructure back up and running. If i were a railroader and was able to do something to help, i would, but all i can do is sit here and watch it all unfold.
:deep breath:

I was going to respond to explain why you are still incorrect but given your continued attitude of "proven theory 2 doesn't apply to me" I'm going to let you explain, in your wisdom, how the video shows "modifications to 46's were not needed" as you stated.
  by NJT Rider

How did they bring them into Penn??? Did they come down the west side or take the wye in the Bronx and come down the NEC in New Rochelle??? If they came in on the west side, they must have had to crawl through the tunnel due to the sharp curve in the tunnel.