• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by DogBert

There's a batch of SD40-2s, sd60s, and a few gp38s. probably 20 or 30 engines have their plows cut & can make the run from selkirk, and there's usually 8-12 around oak point, though they cycle in and out of town every day. Even the gensets make the trip to selkirk when they need servicing.

the plow cut/third rail clearance has always necessitated specific engines to be assigned. So you'll see the same engines over and over for years.
  by Backshophoss

With the exception of the gen-sets,all engines carry MNR cab signal gear as well??
  by Uncle Cheapo

Be on the lookout for NYA power on the Hells Gate tonite. CSX will be borrowing 3 engines to run a interchange, since all their engines are trapped in Selkirk. They will probably leave Pond to head north around 9pm, and return in the wee hours with some cars that were stranded in Oak Point. The power will be 270, 151, 271. The firs time those engines are leaving Long Island in their 35 some odd year careers!
  by DogBert

Saw this go over. I thought it was an amtrak test train when I heard diesels on hell gate.

They came back to LI with 4 or 5 empties.

This storm created a lot of debris in NYC and LI. I'd imagine there is going to be a big uptick in trash cars for a sort while.

If the hudson line doesn't open soon, I wonder if csx will have to detour, maybe via new haven?
  by ccutler

CSX has four units drilling a long train from the south end of oak point yard onto Hell's Gate Bridge for at least the last hour. So it looks like the freight connection is restored and looks like they are preparing a transfer run to NYAR.
  by DogBert

Yeah, looked like 100-120 cars when they came across around 1pm. probably the longest train I've ever seen come across the bridge. Roughly 50 empty MSW cars on the tail end. Lots of general merchandise, only 10-20 empty C&Ds (which usually make up half the train).

4 engines, 2 sd-40-2s and 2 gp38-2s. At best you'll see one gp38 head to fremont on a train maybe a dozen times a year. 2 in the same train is much more rare.
  by ccutler

saw the return run later in the afternoon...looked from a distance to be about 100 cars and more than half were C&D, none were garbage containers.
  by DogBert

125 inbound cars on sunday late in the afternoon (can't recall the last time they went 2 sundays in a row). P&W just left town about an hour ago with 90 empties.
  by wintower

A few minutes ago at 7:00a. 2 units and 33 Waste Management flatcars went south over the mainline of the L.I.R.R to Fremont. Very unusual to see a move on a holiday.
  by atsf sp

At around 11AM today a P&W gravel train left oak point with a B40-8 on point, 2 B30-7A, and the 2 GMTX SD60s.
  by ccutler

this morning I saw 4 units leading about 80 cars northbound over Hell's Gate back to Oak Point. About 20 cars were box cars, the rest were C&D and garbage.
  by ccutler

I saw the transfer run this Saturday mording crossing Hells Gate Bridge southbound at 9am. I counted 71 loads, including 21 trash cars, at least 29 C&D cars, and 14 tank cars that appeared from the distance to be propane loads.
  by expbusop

GP 38-2's 2804, 2724 with about 20 general freight cars SB on Oak Point Link at Madison Ave Bridge at 10:05am. Same engine pair headed NB running light at 12:40pm at Fordham
  by freightguy

Caught the engines heading lite back to Croton Harmon around 1pm. I think they bring down the Manhattan Beer boxcars for the Bronx would be busy around this time of year. Second only for the lead up to 4th of July. Croton West is also loaded with propane for the costumer in Peekskill, NY
  by wintower

At about 7:10p. I noticed in the murk, 4 possibly 5 engines and about 45 cars northbound over the mainline of the L.I.R.R.