• NYAR Train Sighting Thread

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by murfunit

Caught eastbound freight at 12:40 pm at South Oyster Bay Road crossing near Hicksville on 5/8. Two MP15 pulling over a dozen various cars.
  by Ðauntless

Earlier today.
  by freightguy

Gotta love that LIRR lead based paint still trying to eat through the 105's "Woody Allen movie" touch up job. A boxcar from Weiner Crowley on the Navy lead making it's to the crossing at Maspeth? That photo could pass for 12 yrs ago if not for shoddy paint on the SW1001 pups
  by murfunit

While paying respects to my departed fathers at St Charles Cemetery today, I saw a GP38 pushing empties into Coastal in Farmingdale around 12:15. A cut of filled gons was set west of New Highway. Later on when coming through Hicksville I saw two MP 15ACs pulling that same cut of gons west through the station. Hit the bonus today.
  by Teutobergerwald

Two MP-15ac's, one on each end and 7 or 8 ??? loaded centerbeam flatcars pulling into the siding at Northport around 1:45pm today, bound for Kleet and/or the other lumber yard in Huntington, I guess.
  by murfunit

While the train I was on was going past the Jay breaker shack I saw 2 GP38s and a dozen gondolas coming down the eastbound hill into Jamaica. Then this afternoon I caught the bonus round as I was heading home: just before my train went up the Babylon Branch trestle east of Jamaica I saw 2 GP 38s returning westbound on the main line with a mixed consist. Today was a good day.
  by murfunit

I was wondering if we rename this thread to "NYAR Train Sighting Thread - 2004 - 2012" instead of 2011 we might get some more current sightings.

For the record today I was riding back into the city again for another doctor's appointment on a nice set of M3's when I heard the deep bass of diesels running past. This happened west of Baldwin station wherein I saw an eastbound freight of all tank cars (10?). Didn't catch the power since we were going at a good clip and were past this small freight quickly.
  by murfunit

Today while driving north through Hicksville, I spied an eastbound freight waiting on track one in Hicksville station. This was around 11:30 this morning.
  by RRJS3

Carlls Path in Deer Park around 9:40 this morning, 268-261 westbound with at least 50 cars. Variety of boxcars, GATX hoppers, loaded scrap cars, and a couple of tanks. Sounded real nice going up the grade.
  by REM3Night

OH DARN!!
I was driving on Union Avenue, Westbury toward School Street at 2:35 PM today and I heard the bells start to ring. I turned onto School Street just in time to see a freight going by. It had 2 GP-38s in Green and Black sandwiching another engine. It had a paint scheme that I'm not familiar with.
I turned around to chase it to Mineola to get a closer look. Usually I don't get there in time but I gave it a try. Unsuccessful!! Today everyone seemed to be "distracted" and could not decide if they were going to turn or head straight. I also got every light RED. DOUBLE DARN!!
Has anyone seen this locomotive? Pictures?
Thanks,
Ray
  by REM3Night

That's the train I saw. I'm glad someone was at Mineola. I wish I did better with the traffic so I could have caught it too.
Ray