Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrphotos/ ... form19.htm
The Long Island Rail Road has finally reached the end of an era. . . an era where train movements were ordered by lightweight, onion-skin-style paper train orders nicknamed "flimsies" which were issued to the conductor and engineer of a train.

General Notice GN 4-16 which effectively ends the long use of the Form 19 train order on the Long Island Rail Road. September 4, 2012
Research/photos thanks to Dave Keller
  by emfinite

The last one was issued tonight to train 8743 to proceed at restricted speed over Ocean Avenue in Patchogue.
  by nyandw

emfinite wrote:The last one was issued tonight to train 8743 to proceed at restricted speed over Ocean Avenue in Patchogue.
Nice. Have a picture of this as a super wrap up on this history?
Steve
  by SlackControl

Which train order number was it?

I figured the last train to get a train order hooped up would have been 8710 for the meet with 8703. Did anyone happen to get a picture or get that one on tape?

When did the LIRR start using the form 19 train order?
Last edited by SlackControl on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by REM3Night

I checked some of my rule books:
LIRR April 1, 1910 has form 19s. it also has form A
LIRR, NY&RB, PP&CI June 1, 1897 has form A but I didn't find any Form 19s
PRR October 1, 1889 has Form 19 & form A
One other think was interesting isthe illustrations for the Hand, Flag & Lamp signals - the man shown has a handlebar mustache and pillbox hat.
The current illusrtations are of men and woman, neither with a mustache.
Ray
  by Doc Emmet Brown

end of an era, kind of sad in a way.
nyandw thanks for posting the new forms..only way im gonna get to see them 900 miles away.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

wonder if they will still give them out as a tradition?
Also heard they dont give the watch anymore
  by Backshophoss

Cross a form 19 with a track warrant= form L
  by Fla East Coast Chris

I bet that condr on 8743 was foaming like a mad dog.. Congrats to that person and his engineer!!!!
  by SlackControl

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:Also heard they dont give the watch anymore
I wonder if this has anything to do with Greg Mocker's report a while back that called out the MTA for ordering watches to give to retirees. I think it was up to that point that I respected him. He seemed to be on our side, and was reporting on the company's waste. I don't think a watch for a retiree is a bad expense. It's gotta be nice to have something to look back on to remind you of the job that you spent most of your life doing.
  by Penn Central

SlackControl wrote:
Doc Emmet Brown wrote:Also heard they dont give the watch anymore
I wonder if this has anything to do with Greg Mocker's report a while back that called out the MTA for ordering watches to give to retirees. I think it was up to that point that I respected him. He seemed to be on our side, and was reporting on the company's waste. I don't think a watch for a retiree is a bad expense. It's gotta be nice to have something to look back on to remind you of the job that you spent most of your life doing.
I got one when I retired from Metro-North after 36 years of service. It was a pocket watch that sits on a shelf in a presentation case but is a nice reminder of my days on the railroad. Also sad to see train orders go but time marches on.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Yes its a nice reminder. Funny thing is, when I retired I stopped wearing a watch. After years of having to live by the clock, i stopped wearing one.
I have clocks at home and one in the car, thats enough.
Of course the cell phone tells the time too. Have not worn a watch in 6 years.
Now that i found out the RR does not give a watch anymore, took mine to the jewlers today for a cleaning, and a new battery, since its a bit more of a collectors item now.
  by nyandw

Doc: Nice comments from an ex-LIRR employee (as always, BTW). More to come on the Form 19 issue as I get it soon. Do you have larger scans of the watch? Would like to see them as a never seen one (as a civilian!)
Thank you.
  by Crabman1130

Doc, if you're not going to use the watch you should take out the battery.