Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Backshophoss

Not quite,the light bulb in the signal will turn on when a train is in the block,will show ; Clear(green),Approach(yellow)or
Stop(red).
  by lirr42

Is the signal your asking about this signal seen at the end of this station? (Photo credit: Emily, I Ride the Harlem Line)

If it is, it looks like that signal illuminates when a train approaches/is on the bridge traveling in the other direction (towards port Jervis), then goes dark after it passes thru the station.

I don't know what it would stand for, being in single track territory with no passing sidings within spitting distance. Maybe not to have trains run into each other on the bride? I wouldn't know.
  by Backshophoss

lirr42,That signal is an automatic block signal,there are circuts between each signal in both directions to send status of
the block in front of, or behind that signal.
That part of the Port Jervis line is single track CTC,not sure if the NJT DS uses a "traffic lever" to set opposing signals
to "stop" for eastbound trains and "clear" for westbound trains.

Note: with the number plate on the signal, a red signal would be "Stop and proceed",
proceed to next signal at restricted speed(10-15 mph) till next signal prepared to stop short of train/obstruction ahead.
  by truck6018

lilbluefoxie wrote: so if the light is off, its equivilent to the signal indication for go, and then when its on it obviously means stop since its a red light.
The problem with that would be this: Let's say the signal was meant to show a red (stop) and the signal was dark (bulb out), how would the engineer know this? He would see no light and proceed when the signal is meant to be stop.

In the event of an "imperfectly displayed" or "absent" signal, the indication must be taken as the most restrictive possible. This would mean if a proceed signal was meant to be shown and there was no signal displayed, due to either the bulb being out or the signal was knocked down, it must be taken as a stop signal.
  by SecaucusJunction

I wouldn't worry about it. That signal will probably be gone in the next 6 months anyway...
  by RearOfSignal

truck6018 wrote:it must be taken as a stop signal.
Actually a stop and proceed, not a stop signal.

And even when new signals are installed they'll still probably be approach lit.
  by Autoblock

Correct me if im wrong but this is a searchlight common on the old Erie which is able to show all three indications depending on the situation
  by RearOfSignal

Yes, searchlight signal, able to show three colors on each head, red, amber, green.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Penn Central wrote:If cab signals are installed, that signal could be removed. If a train was approaching and the signal was dark it would be taken at its most restrictive indication, which would be stop and proceed (at restricted speed).
Probably will. MNRR standardizes on no-waysides cab signal installations.
  by truck6018

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
They do? Then what are those things with the red lights on top and bottom and green in the center at every interlocking on the east of Hudson MNCR lines (with the exception of Danbury and Waterbury branches and Beacon line).

In these circumstances if the signal is dark then the most restrictive aspect/indication is stop. In that case RTC would have to talk the train past the signal. Lets say the cab signal system went down, then RTC could display an absolute block and get the train underway. Anything else displayed with a train control apparatus failure the train must go restricted speed.
  by RearOfSignal

truck6018 wrote:
They do? Then what are those things with the red lights on top and bottom and green in the center at every interlocking on the east of Hudson MNCR lines (with the exception of Danbury and Waterbury branches and Beacon line).

In these circumstances if the signal is dark then the most restrictive aspect/indication is stop. In that case RTC would have to talk the train past the signal. Lets say the cab signal system went down, then RTC could display an absolute block and get the train underway. Anything else displayed with a train control apparatus failure the train must go restricted speed.
He means cab signals without intermediate waysides, which MNR utilizes EoH. And no the most restrictive aspect is not Stop. The signal in question is an automatic signal, automatic signals cannot display a Stop Signal, the most restrictive aspect it can display is stop and proceed. There is no absolute block signal WoH, you're mixing up operating rules of EoH and WoH. And if signal was dark that is not a train control apparatus failure.
  by truck6018

RearOfSignal wrote:
truck6018 wrote:
He means cab signals without intermediate waysides, which MNR utilizes EoH. And no the most restrictive aspect is not Stop.
On the EoH the most restrictive is not Stop? Maybe on WoH in which I admittedly do not know the signal system 100% so I stand corrected on my previous post regarding such.

I misunderstood F-line's recent statement above as something else.
  by Backshophoss

Since the WOH service is operated by NJT under contract,would NJT use their version/style of signals
for the upgrade??