Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by SouthernRailway

I'm glad that Metro-North has digital signs on platforms, typically reading "Good Service"- but why can't those signs also (or) just show the next few trains to arrive, their times and the track numbers? Wouldn't that be more helpful?

At Stamford yesterday, I went straight from street level (from downtown) to the platform nearest the street, and then walked through a stopped train (perhaps a New Canaan branch one) onto the platform for GCT-bound trains. Never once did I see any sign showing where GCT-bound trains would stop, and when; I just figured that I was on the right platform, and heard some audio announcements stating that I was on the right platform. More departure boards would have been helpful.
  by shadyjay

SouthernRailway wrote:I'm glad that Metro-North has digital signs on platforms, typically reading "Good Service"- but why can't those signs also (or) just show the next few trains to arrive, their times and the track numbers? Wouldn't that be more helpful?
Ones I've seen say the date as well.... wouldn't displaying time make more sense?
  by DutchRailnut

It displays the tracks in station overpas, the route you should have taken, It appears you make your problem - our problem ??
  by SouthernRailway

Well, it's pretty routine to have signs on the platform showing the train times, tracks, etc.- if MN is going to have digital signs, why not make them more helpful (and have more of them)?

The post above is correct- they do show the date.
  by DutchRailnut

If your in Stamford complain to CDOT, not Metro North, we only operate past state line as per contract.
  by SecaucusJunction

Just be thankful you're not in NJ.
  by gregorygrice

That seems to be the thing with CDOT. Many of Metro North's stations (NY/ Westchester), such as White Plains for an example, the electronic signs show the next couple of trains, their destination and their arrival time. Another difference I see is that MNRR owned stations have heat rooms while CDOT tends to be cheat and have "rooms" with open "door ways" like at Fairfield Metro.
  by amm in ny

The electric signs at Tarrytown (which AFAIK is not run by CDOT :) ) also (mostly) only show "Good Service" and the date. Never the time. However, the hardware is not as fancy as what they have at White Plains.

Sometimes they display a notice about a delayed train, though often on the platform that the train is not likely to arrive on (e.g., on the 2/4 platform for northbound trains.)

I have not seen them warn us when a train arrives on a different platform from usual.
  by runningwithscalpels

gregorygrice wrote:That seems to be the thing with CDOT. Many of Metro North's stations (NY/ Westchester), such as White Plains for an example, the electronic signs show the next couple of trains, their destination and their arrival time. Another difference I see is that MNRR owned stations have heat rooms while CDOT tends to be cheat and have "rooms" with open "door ways" like at Fairfield Metro.
What more do you want from a state who thinks threatening to shutter branch lines is a viable budget crunch solution? ;)

In all seriousness though, it probably does boil down to them being cheap/not having money. How many heat rooms and decent information signs would the money we're wasting on that ridiculous Hartford to New Britain Busway buy?
  by Clean Cab

All improvements end at the NY/CT line!!!
  by chrisnewhaven

There is a new sign at North White Plains. It resembles a flat screen television, and lists the present time as well as the time, destination, and status of the next 10 or so trains, like the signs in the waiting room in White Plains. It had a label that said " test sign" on it, so I hope this works out and other stations start to see them too.
C.J.V.
  by pnaw10

I wouldn't expect flat-screen monitors like that at every single station. White Plains is a bigger station which is staffed most of the day.

Many of the smaller, unmanned stations might risk having those monitors defaced or stolen.

Besides, MNR isn't like a subway where trains are coming by every 6-8 minutes. Every station has the schedule posted somewhere, and most regular riders already know when the train is supposed to arrive. Trains *usually* arrive on the same tracks all the time. If there's a track change or delay, the P.A. system and display boards announce it as needed.
  by XBNSFer

That's one of my running jokes with fellow commuters - "When that sign says "Good Service," you know you're in trouble!"
  by DutchRailnut

and with all your joking about trouble MNCR still gets you to final destination on time 95% of time.
  by Patrick A.

DutchRailnut wrote:and with all your joking about trouble MNCR still gets you to final destination on time 95% of time.
Translation: 95% of the time, MNR will get you to your destination within 5 min 59 sec of the published arrival time. Sorry couldn't help myself :wink: