• Is Fern Rock Transportation Center a safe place?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by NJTKid01

Hello, I'm going to be in the area of the Fern Rock Railroad Station, I was wondering if this is a safe area where I should railfan? Thanks!
  by Matthew Mitchell

NJTKid01 wrote:Hello, I'm going to be in the area of the Fern Rock Railroad Station, I was wondering if this is a safe area where I should railfan? Thanks!
Yeah, I think it's safe as long as you act sensibly and stay alert. I use the subway regularly to go to ballgames and sometimes for variety's sake instead of going by RRD. My wife has used it to go to Temple occasionally, and I don't have any second thoughts about her going. I would have more confidence parking in the SEPTA lot within the loop rather than parking at the city lot outside it or on the street.

The RRD station is also OK--but please do not trespass on the tracks.

by MACTRAXX

Guys: As one that has used FRTC many times, Fern Rock is a pretty good location in the daytime. BUT-be careful after dark and do not wander into the neighborhood just north of Nedro Avenue where the buses serving FRTC stop. The RRD end can be a lonely place at night - just exercise a little common sense and stay safe. In my opinion,on the Southbound side,I noticed that SEPTA has placed a sign noting when the cashier at the RRD end is open. I remember people walking up the stairs after leaving southbound trains only to find the entrance to the BSL closed. The walk up the street from the parking lot at the N end of the SB platform to the main entrance is OK - just be careful after dark. MACTRAXX

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

I've used it and it's not too bad. However, a better question is the subway train itself safe? I mean, East Oak lane is nothing compared to what's waiting south of Olney Ave......

by chuchubob

The first seven photos on this page were taken at Fern Rock TC.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/BobSEPTA

Some Broad Street Subway dispatchers at Fern Rock object to photographic activity, so be circumspect.

I can't speak to safety of the area; my presence has been confined to the train and subway stations, and the adjacent street, where I bought lunch from a street vendor. I experienced no safety concern. I haven't been there at night.

bob

by NJTKid01

Hey thanks guys for all your help for this very vauable information about Fern Rock Transportation Center and its safety about that particular area.

by matt1168

Stay within the station complex and you should be fine.

by Matthew Mitchell

Bensalem SEPTA rider wrote:I've used it and it's not too bad. However, a better question is the subway train itself safe?
Yes, though I would be cautious when riding around the time the high schools dismiss.

by jfrey40535

I've been up there at night unforunately, and expect to run into someone with some kind of issue. If you're not from the area, expect to stand out. The train isn't too bad, although I've only had one issue in all the times I rode it. Would be nice if the transit cops made their presence a little more known on the line, especially in light of the incident at Logan the other day.