• V20 GP40 PH-2 running the mailline today.

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by samshat

FYI, the V20 will be running on the north end of Manassas trains, 327,328,337 this afternoon. Get yo pics!
  by chucksc

Well it couldn't get out of the Broad Run yard yesterday (wednesday) morning on 330 - something about ditch-lights not working and then when they dropped it they had trouble with the air in the consist. took 2 engineers (1 in the cab car - 1(trainee) in the MP36) to get that sorted out (whatever the problem was).... Consist(s) were scheduled to have a MP-36 on one end ang V20 on the other with 6 Gallery cars in the middle...
  by samshat

Roger that Chuck. It was somewhat embarrassing when I found out it never left the yard.
  by chucksc

davinp wrote:Why is VRE using the old locomotive when they have several new ones available.

This video of the Broad Run railyard, shows the V20 sitting in the rear of the railyard, with it's nose facing a new locomotive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCqloFxhPns
I was told it is because V20 (and 23) are the official protect engines and have to be "exercised" periodically....

What you might have missed Dave is that it was not being allowed out to play alone... One of the MP36s was on the other end of the train.

I was told this morning that there was nothing mechanically wrong with V20 other than the ditch lights did not work - since she was set up to lead, that would be a no no according to the FRA...

So they put her back to bed!
  by cobra30689

chucksc wrote:
davinp wrote:Why is VRE using the old locomotive when they have several new ones available.

This video of the Broad Run railyard, shows the V20 sitting in the rear of the railyard, with it's nose facing a new locomotive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCqloFxhPns
I was told it is because V20 (and 23) are the official protect engines and have to be "exercised" periodically....

What you might have missed Dave is that it was not being allowed out to play alone... One of the MP36s was on the other end of the train.

I was told this morning that there was nothing mechanically wrong with V20 other than the ditch lights did not work - since she was set up to lead, that would be a no no according to the FRA...

So they put her back to bed!
Wellllllll.........they DO work. Just not when you want them to. Or maybe not LOL. Seriously though....they come on whenever they feel like it.

David....MP36's make awful yard switchers first off. That's part of the reason why the '20 and '23 were kept....and both of them run strong(although I'm not going to hang my hat on the HEP LOL).....and they are a lot of fun to run....
  by davinp

The V20 & V23 are still offered on sale at VRE's website.
  by chucksc

For Dave and anyone else who was disappointed when V20 was given a time-out for not playing well - My spies tell me that V20 will be taken on an exercise walk tomorrow (I wonder who has to pick up the poop??? :)) on VRE - 330 leaving Broad Run at about 7:20 am..... She will in all probability have a MP36 shoving on the far end "just in case" the same as she did the last time....

So all you foamers near the Manassas Line (NS Main-Line) get your cameras ready...
  by chucksc

chucksc wrote:For Dave and anyone else who was disappointed when V20 was given a time-out for not playing well - My spies tell me that V20 will be taken on an exercise walk tomorrow (I wonder who has to pick up the poop??? :)) on VRE - 330 leaving Broad Run at about 7:20 am..... She will in all probability have a MP36 shoving on the far end "just in case" the same as she did the last time....

So all you foamers near the Manassas Line (NS Main-Line) get your cameras ready...
Unfortunately V20 was apparantly a bad boy and was not allowed out to play on the mainline this AM :(

Maybe later today.... We'll have to wait for Cobra to chine in as to what the actual problem was....