• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by srock1028

gravelyfan wrote:
srock1028 wrote:Whats on train 1006 today???

-A
Looks like lots of non-regular passengers in addition to the regulars.

Oh, and 4506 on the east end doing the work.
Did you say 4506?
Right NO BS here R3, NO BS!

-A
  by blockline4180

Sad!!, The beginning of the end as we should say!!! Too bad NJT is retiring the F40's!!! :-( :-( :-(
  by Idiot Railfan

I happened to be on Train 1006 this morning. Lots of foamers at MSU and NLJ types onboard and on the platform. MMC and Hoboken too. I'll post some photos later. Yes, it was indeed hauled by dual mode 4506 facing inbound, and they raised the graphs at MSU. So was that the first revenue run for the ALP-45DP?
  by SecaucusJunction

Great! They can sit in MSU for extended periods of time while they raise and lower the graphs... It will give NJT an excuse to make the schedules for the WORMS even longer. I guess NJT figures they should just be happy they aren't on the NY train that stops at every backyard through the town of Montclair.
  by Idiot Railfan

SecaucusJunction wrote:Great! They can sit in MSU for extended periods of time while they raise and lower the graphs... It will give NJT an excuse to make the schedules for the WORMS even longer. I guess NJT figures they should just be happy they aren't on the NY train that stops at every backyard through the town of Montclair.
Actually the changeover at MSU was pretty swift, especially considering the NJT brass and Foamdom on board and on the platform
  by braves

When will they begin service on the Raritan Valley Line and when will RVL riders finally get a one direct rider service into NYP for the first time ever if there are slots available under the Hudson River.
  by Ken S.

Idiot Railfan wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:Great! They can sit in MSU for extended periods of time while they raise and lower the graphs... It will give NJT an excuse to make the schedules for the WORMS even longer. I guess NJT figures they should just be happy they aren't on the NY train that stops at every backyard through the town of Montclair.
Actually the changeover at MSU was pretty swift, especially considering the NJT brass and Foamdom on board and on the platform
Consider that Metro-North does this many many times a day without a problem.
  by CNJGeep

braves wrote:When will they begin service on the Raritan Valley Line and when will RVL riders finally get a one direct rider service into NYP for the first time ever if there are slots available under the Hudson River.
Looks like you answered your own question there...
  by Sirsonic

Ken S. wrote:
Idiot Railfan wrote:
They switch from diesel to overhead catenary many times a day? Why didn't they share their technology with NJT then...
  by Jtgshu

Ken S. wrote:
Idiot Railfan wrote:
It takes a little over a minute to go from electric to diesel and a little under a minute to go from diesel to electric. there should be no reason to sit anywhere for "an extended period of time" when doing a changeover.

It takes longer to get a bridge plate for a wheelchair passenger and get them on and off the train than it would for the change over to take place. Lets not make it sound like its going to take 10 minutes. Im waiting for someone to start to compare it to the ACES trains and that changeover......
  by sixty-six

Idiot Railfan wrote:
But SJ wasn't actually there, so of course he knows what he's talking about.
  by Jeff Smith

Ken S. wrote:
Idiot Railfan wrote:
It's kind of like training wheels ;-)

Although as someone else pointed out, MNRR goes from overhead to third rail. That tech has existed many many years obviously; it's not like revving up a diesel.

PS If I'm wrong, I rule.
  by Silverliner II

Jeff Smith wrote:Although as someone else pointed out, MNRR goes from overhead to third rail. That tech has existed many many years obviously; it's not like revving up a diesel.

PS If I'm wrong, I rule.
And they go diesel to third rail as well. But unlike NJT, they can do that mode change on the fly (isn't there at least one express that even skips 125th Street?)
  by Jeff Smith

I don't think they switch to third rail until they hit 125th. Yeah, some skip, so I guess they'd do it on they fly somewhere on Park Av viaduct.
  by morris&essex4ever

Was 4506 under it's own power?