Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Lets see with 100 cars accepted and 85 cars in service at any given time and about 330 cars required for daily service the number is ....
  by Fan Railer

1/4 of weekday rush hour service.
  by Patrick A.

Your dry wit is much appreciated Mr. Railnut :wink:
  by Jeff Smith

M-8 page has been updated (Dutch finally gave them the go ahead to do it I guess ;-) ): http://mta.info/mnr/html/newM8.html

Ten sets in service. As I postulated a while ago, I imagined that you probably had a pretty good chance of getting an M8 on the weekends. For those of you who were wondering about percentages.....

Delivered to New Haven Yard 108 (total)
Under Inspection and Testing by Kawasaki Rail Car, Inc. 8
Conditionally Accepted by Metro-North Railroad for Service 100
Information Provided 5/8/12

More M-8's In Service
A total of 100 M8 cars support the 78 M8s (two 10-car train, five 8-car train sets and three 6-car train sets) operating in regularly scheduled train service as of May 8, 2012.

Customers have the opportunity to ride one or more of the 448 weekly trains (343 weekday and 105 weekend) operating in scheduled New Haven Line service with the 10 M8 train sets. The new M8 trains represent 31.1% of the total New Haven Line main line Mon-Thursday weekday service, 29.9% of the total Friday weekday service, 48.7% of the total service on Saturdays and 52.2% on Sundays.
  by runningwithscalpels

Jeff Smith wrote:The new M8 trains represent 31.1% of the total New Haven Line main line Mon-Thursday weekday service, 29.9% of the total Friday weekday service, 48.7% of the total service on Saturdays and 52.2% on Sundays.
Go figure, I spent a Sunday not long ago fanning at SoNo and there wasn't an M8 one to be seen. What crap luck ;)
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Scalpel, being from the New York area (and "might or might not' actually been an NYC resident during 1962-63), I'm aware of the multitude of acroynyms to identify various regions in the City. Coming to mind are Tri-Be-Ca (Traingle Below Canal) So-Ho (South of Hudson) and DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass).

But So-No?????? Enquiring mind wants to know.
  by Patrick A.

SoNo=South Norwalk, CT Mr. Norman
  by runningwithscalpels

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Scalpel, being from the New York area (and "might or might not' actually been an NYC resident during 1962-63), I'm aware of the multitude of acroynyms to identify various regions in the City. Coming to mind are Tri-Be-Ca (Traingle Below Canal) So-Ho (South of Hudson) and DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass).

But So-No?????? Enquiring mind wants to know.
Yes, South Norwalk station in Connecticut - and Ms. Scalpel ;)
  by Train538

9208/9209 & 9210/9211 were spotted on the back of CSX Q380 yesterday (5/12-NTD).
  by DutchRailnut

104 cars acepted as on today with about 85 available for daily service.
  by gregorygrice

9114/9115 and a single M8 car at Kawasaki Facilities
  by Fan Railer

They're really pressing these cars into service. Saw 9207 pulling into GCT on a revenue train today.
  by emillard09

gregorygrice wrote:9114/9115 and a single M8 car at Kawasaki Facilities
So is this single car one of the unpowered ones? I thought they weren't being made until later.
  by gregorygrice

emillard09 wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:9114/9115 and a single M8 car at Kawasaki Facilities
So is this single car one of the unpowered ones? I thought they weren't being made until later.
No its a pair that was split.