• Trends on the Highways

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 2nd trick op

For those who don't follow too closely, a surge of speculation on rumors of further instability in the Middle East pushed the spot price of petroleum to a new high on Friday. This could, in turn, push retail gas prices a few cents per gallon beyond last summer's high (though in a historical context adjusted for inflation, still below the all-time highs of 1974 and 1979-81).

And if your local retailer puts the blame on the oil producers, you might ask how full he's keeping his own storage facilities these days. Local distributors generally buy in anticipation of a price surge, then let the tanks empty out when prices are in a short/intermediate-term decline, thus improving their bottom line, accentuating the "crisis" and causing more panic among the lemmings.

Listening to a couple of conservative commentators yesterday and today, the talk wasn't about the root causes of the trend, but more wisely, how to adjust and accelerate our ability to respond to it, particularly in the area of alternative fuels such as hydrogen. The usual lectures from the would-be moralists of the nanny-state about smaller vehicles and less freedom of choice in travel plans were left to those on the other side of the aisle.

Another issue which has been surfacing in recent days is a closer scrutiny on the driving habits of newly-licensed teenagers. Although the continuing trend toward part-time work for teens at a younger age is likely to forestall any plan to rase the age for licensure itself, a couple of states are looking into plans to limit the hours during which teens can drive, and the age of those accompanying them.

But perhaps more interesting to us is the observation that the crackdown on the youngest drivers may set the stage for a similar scrutiny of the older driver, thereby forcing some of their number off the road for good, and increasing the justification for alternatives.

The point being, as always, that Amtrak should approch these issues by depicting itself a a positive alternative, rather than the beneficiary of the state's power to coerce.

by updrumcorpsguy

While I would gently point out that advocates for the "nanny state" exist on both sides of the aisle (witness recent announcements of proposed regulation of cable channels by the FCC, and the whole Janet Jackson "scandal" ) this is something that I can be in ringing agreement with conservatives about. You won't get people out of their gas guzzlers by preaching conservatism, and if they want to drive them, that's fine with me - although I think there should perhaps be a surcharge on them for the effect of their weight on the roadways. I do think that eventually the market (i.e. gas prices) will resolve that issue, and we will see a resurgence in popularity of the standard sedan.

In terms of older drivers, I am having to deal with the effects of that with my father, who should decidedly not be driving - yet the state of Iowa, in their infinite wisdom, went ahead and renewed his license. This is compounded by my parent's reluctance to move from their suburban neighborhood that is not within walking distance of any stores or services - it doesn't even have sidewalks.

Ironically enough, because of this, my folks have "discovered" the train to Chicago (in their case the Zephyr) which gives them a chance to still travel without resorting to the car or the hassles of the airport, and without the extra expense of a sleeper (which they would need to go to Denver) They, and a large amount of their friends, are now learning what I found out in college - the train beats driving across Iowa and Illinois.

Of course, if the route touched more of the major centers of the state, it would be even more attractive - but then the lower third of the state would lose out on a major transportation source for them.

btw, alternative fuels have been a frequent topic on NPR's "Talk of the Nation Science Friday" for quite some time now, and the developments in this field are truly fascinating. Even though the auto industry is been dragged kicking and screaming to the new California standards, I think that's going to force them to dust off their old-fashioned American initiative and come up with some pretty neat stuff. And some of the gas companies - BP in particular - are being very innovative towards alernative energies.
  by wigwagfan

2nd trick op wrote:The point being, as always, that Amtrak should approch these issues by depicting itself a a positive alternative, rather than the beneficiary of the state's power to coerce.
The idea of having alternative transportation is certainly respectfully and necessary. However, Amtrak being the provider of that transportation is questionable.

After all, most of the teenagers who have part-time jobs, and senior citizens who need to do grocery shopping, run errands or visit the doctor...don't travel hundreds of miles away, they travel within the same town (or maybe an adjoining town), where a bus or a light rail system would be more appropriate than Amtrak.

Instead, Amtrak should develop a new advertising campaign focusing on:

1. Travelling as a family together on vacation, spending time together crossing the great scenery America has to offer
2. Relaxing onboard a train within the Lounge Car or enjoying a meal in the Dining Car, instead of hassling with driving, finding ways to relax or occupy the kids, looking for a place to eat or sleep
3. Save wear/tear on the car and not spend money on gas or the last minute oil change/maintenance check
4. Something that is new and different, for those who haven't tried travelling by train before
5. Amtrak seriously needs to restart its air-rail program, because many people won't want to take the train both ways. But don't partner with only one airline