• Mid-70s Maine Central video. Yours for...

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Cowford

I had mentioned in another string that I had an old video entitled "Along the Maine Line" that I've never seen. I've had it for decades and finally sent it out to convert to DVD... I got it back today.

What it is: A 23-minute program produced by a cable TV channel in 1974. Picture a novice reporter going to Waterville and getting toured through the shops and yard by Brad Peters, interviewing employees along the way. (For those not old enough to remember, Brad was MEC's VP of Public Relations. He stayed on through GTI and ST days until about 20 years ago... anyone know his whereabouts?) It's B&W, a bit grainy, and somewhat amateurish by today's standards. It likely wouldn't keep the attention of someone who just wants to watch videos of train run-bys, but it's interesting from the historical perspective: The shop superintendent proudly showing off a freshly rebuilt ALCO S-1, (both) RS-11s on the "wood job", a ride of the transfer table, stretching 40-ft boxcars, and (my favorite) discussing a caboose rebuild and the reporter expressing surprise that the caboose will continue to have kerosene lighting. "...and this caboose has not been rebuilt before? Not by us."

Oh, and someone apparently wrote a twangy country song about 470 that plays in the intro and ending.

So here's the deal: I'm happy to burn a dvd and mail it off to anyone who's interested. But there's a catch. (Of course there's a catch!) Other than you needing to provide me your name/address, my only requirement is that you first make a minimum $20 donation to the WW&F Railway Museum. (Buying a $30 one-year membership counts.) Note: I am not affiliated with the museum; I just think it's a head-up organization that deserves support.

On confirmation... I was leaning toward the honor system, but I really want to ensure the WW&F receives the benefit of my cost and time spent. That said, if anyone has ideas on how proof of donation can be provided prior to a dvd mailing, lets hear 'em! (PM on this site will remain the only way to contact me.)

Thanks

Cowford
  by MEC407

:-D

For those who want to donate to, or join, the WW&F Railway Museum, this link will get you started:

http://www.wwfry.org/aboutus/museum.html
  by ThinkNarrow

For a taste of what goes on "up thar," in addition to the regular web site, please visit http://forum.wwfry.org. Read at will; register if you'd like to comment. :-)
  by Mikejf

All donations made directly to the museum are acknowledged by a letter. The letter is a reciept. It has your name address and amount all included. Would a scanned copy of that work for you? And how recent for the donations? Within the last month? This year?

Mike