• New Ticket Collection Policy?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Passaic River Rat

Emus are non-union, so they cannot perform on-board functions like traps and door openings. Velociraptors are UTU, so they are OK.
andegold wrote:Thanks McMannors, I think there might have been mention of the policy relating to the on board surcharge but I couldn't really hear and I couldn't find anything on the NJT website.

Velociraptors would be good ticket collectors as we know from the movies that they would be able to handle the vestibule doors on Arrows and Comet Is. I wonder if emus can be trained to handle those doors or if they would be restricted to cars with push button doors.
  by sixty-six

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
mcmannors wrote:The only thing I am aware of is that on MARCH 1st (not April 1st, as previously stated), they want the on board surcharge to be charged at every station and in EITHER DIRECTION. Even at locations where there are TVM's on only one side, and the surcharge was waived on the other side until now. I don't think that affects the Northeast Corridor, since I believe there are TVM's on both sides at every station over there...
Since all stations now have TVMs, it could be easier to have a voluntary (self-enforced) "honor" system. NJT Light Rail already does so and does some other commuter lines.
How about no.
  by 25Hz

sixty-six wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
mcmannors wrote:The only thing I am aware of is that on MARCH 1st (not April 1st, as previously stated), they want the on board surcharge to be charged at every station and in EITHER DIRECTION. Even at locations where there are TVM's on only one side, and the surcharge was waived on the other side until now. I don't think that affects the Northeast Corridor, since I believe there are TVM's on both sides at every station over there...
Since all stations now have TVMs, it could be easier to have a voluntary (self-enforced) "honor" system. NJT Light Rail already does so and does some other commuter lines.
How about no.
You could do random sweeps with njtpd, put fare evasion fine at $1,500 + 50 hours of community service.
  by sixty-six

25Hz wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
How about no.
You could do random sweeps with njtpd, put fare evasion fine at $1,500 + 50 hours of community service.
Random sweeps of 12-car trains during rush hour? Riiiiight...
  by amtrakowitz

sixty-six wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
How about no.
Looks like someone thinks that NJT has automated trap doors on all trains.

And as far as the so-called "honor" system goes, light rail has had the lowest fare recovery ratio out of all the transportation modes under NJT's purview, even though it's not technically "voluntary". Revenue would improve if the LRT had conductors on board.

I wonder where you can find the costs for TVM maintenance? If it turns out to be higher than having ticket agents at select stations, that will be quite the eye-opener.
  by N4J

Conductors on LRT? Where in the world do you see that? No where , although it might be good to place one on the Riverline during peak hr....but then you have the problem of conductors having to go outside the train to go into the next car to collect tickets... It simply would be more expensive to hire conductors then to fix the problems that lead to low farebox recovery , like fare evasion , lower ridership then expected due to the terrible schedules that the systems run on and some bad land usage around the stations which is mostly economy issue and is starting to fix itself. All future HBLR stations will be built with room for fare gates in the future.....
  by Jtgshu

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

NJTs passengers are so trustworthy and honest that im sure EVERY single one of them would gladly pay the appropriate fair and use the honor system to make sure they pay the 15 dollar one way fare from Hamilton to NY and not the 5 dollar fare (or whatever it would be) from Hamilton to say New Brunswick, and just stay on the train. Heck, people do that now!

They could put ticket collectors or whatever you would want to call them at each station platform on LRT. They wouldn't be able to get all the tickets every time, especially from folks arriving late. I would think that folks would take less of a chance of not buying a ticket and riding on an old one or not validating a ticket, if there is a human at each station that collects and inspects and cancels tickets instead of a machine that prints out a date and time....

the increased revenue im SURE would more than pay for the salary/benefits of the ticket collector.

Why do people keep wanting to "improve" things to put people out of jobs? I just don't understand that. Progress is progress, but sometimes its taking a step backwards.
  by TDowling

I think the ticket collector idea is good. That's what a lot of bus companies do: have the driver inspect the tickets to see where the passenger is going, whether or not it is still valid, etc. Of course, the "how much depends on how far you go" fare system doesn't apply here.
  by amtrakowitz

Nexis4Jersey wrote:Conductors on LRT? Where in the world do you see that? No where , although it might be good to place one on the Riverline during peak hr....but then you have the problem of conductors having to go outside the train to go into the next car to collect tickets... It simply would be more expensive to hire conductors then to fix the problems that lead to low farebox recovery , like fare evasion , lower ridership then expected due to the terrible schedules that the systems run on and some bad land usage around the stations which is mostly economy issue and is starting to fix itself. All future HBLR stations will be built with room for fare gates in the future.....
Sounds like you're living in a fantasy world, with all due respect. Fare gates?!? HBLR is a trolley, not a subway.
  by Matthew Mitchell

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Since all stations now have TVMs, it could be easier to have a voluntary (self-enforced) "honor" system. NJT Light Rail already does so and does some other commuter lines.
Corrections needed here:

Proof of payment fare collection is not voluntary.
Proof of payment is enforced by uniformed agents.
Proof of payment is not the "honor system."
  by amtrakowitz

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Since all stations now have TVMs, it could be easier to have a voluntary (self-enforced) "honor" system. NJT Light Rail already does so and does some other commuter lines.
Corrections needed here:
  • Proof of payment fare collection is not voluntary.
  • Proof of payment is enforced by uniformed agents.
  • Proof of payment is not the "honor system."
POP is very much the "honor system". The only way you can say it is not is if fare agents are present on the system at all times, checking all passengers; they are not.

Germany, long famed for the proof-of-payment system on almost all of its public transit, is suffering from a high level of fare evasion currently.
  by N4J

amtrakowitz wrote:
Nexis4Jersey wrote:Conductors on LRT? Where in the world do you see that? No where , although it might be good to place one on the Riverline during peak hr....but then you have the problem of conductors having to go outside the train to go into the next car to collect tickets... It simply would be more expensive to hire conductors then to fix the problems that lead to low farebox recovery , like fare evasion , lower ridership then expected due to the terrible schedules that the systems run on and some bad land usage around the stations which is mostly economy issue and is starting to fix itself. All future HBLR stations will be built with room for fare gates in the future.....
Sounds like you're living in a fantasy world, with all due respect. Fare gates?!? HBLR is a trolley, not a subway.

All systems in NJ are LRT not trolleys , and where do you see conductors on Trolleys? In Philly? Boston? No , you don't see them , they collect there fares when you board. There are fare gates will be installed at future stations and some high trafficked stations which can be reconfiqured , the same is being done in Seattle , Vancouver , LA and SF....its not as hard as you think. Several stations on the Newark LRT can be fitted with fare gates , some even have there historic fare gates..
  by nick11a

This is a pointless conversation.... anyone reading this knows that these ideas are not nearly practical.
  by Patrick Boylan

We've gotten away from the original post's question about what is the new RAILROAD fare colletion procedure that might get implemented, and mcmannors's answer that the only thing they're aware of is doing away with some on board surcharge waivers.
We've even gotten off of the subsidiary discussion about dinosaurs and large flightless birds.
Well, lemme join the crowd
sixty-six wrote: Random sweeps of 12-car trains during rush hour? Riiiiight...
I'm not sure why 12-car rush hour train random sweeps has to be any less effective than traditional railroad style where conductors try to lift every ticket.
amtrakowitz wrote: POP is very much the "honor system". The only way you can say it is not is if fare agents are present on the system at all times, checking all passengers; they are not.
You're welcome to your opinion, but please state it as an opinion and not as fact. I believe what you're saying is the same as if one would say "Stopping at red light is honor system. The only way you can say it is not is if police are at every intersection at all times". Substitute any other scenario where one must balance one's chances of getting away with wrongdoing vs the possibly severe punishment if one gets caught.
amtrakowitz wrote: Germany, long famed for the proof-of-payment system on almost all of its public transit, is suffering from a high level of fare evasion currently.
Please cite the documentation you have to support this statement. And it seems you're implying that traditional methods, eg faregates, turnstiles, have less fare evasion than proof of payment system. That may be, but I don't believe they result in zero fare evasion. If there's frequent enough enforcement, with high enough fines, proof of payment's revenue vs cost can be as effective as the old fashioned way.
Nexis4Jersey wrote: and where do you see conductors on Trolleys? In Philly? Boston? No , you don't see them , they collect there fares when you board.
Several stations on the Newark LRT can be fitted with fare gates , some even have there historic fare gates..
Several stations in Philly, Boston have fare gates, besides the stations in Newark to which you allude which historically had faregates. And San Francisco, Toronto, and if I remember correctly, Cleveland's Terminal Tower Shaker Heights Rapid Transit station.
And I had seen portable fareboxes without gates at some Pittsburgh light rail stations.

I believe Los Angeles subway had been proof of payment, and they have changed to faregates
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-ange ... crazy.html
Faregates can give more bang for the buck on a subway-elevated system, since the platforms already have restricted entry points, than one can get on a more open right of way, such as light rail or traditional railroad, where it's a lot harder completely to fence in all the ways one can walk up to the trains.
nick11a wrote: This is a pointless conversation.... anyone reading this knows that these ideas are not nearly practical.
I assume, like what I believe sixty-six is trying to say, that you feel traditional railroad style fare collection is any more practical. It all depends on lots of variables. As I mentioned above, one needs to get that magic balance of cost vs revenue vs evasion.

Here's another fun thing about proof of payment. When I get off the Riverline, I toss my validated ticket into the recycle bin as soon as I can. I don't want inadvertently to reach into my pocket later and innocently double stamp an already expired ticket. It's possible, I know, that someone else might get that ticket from the recycle bin and get a free ride. Where does my responsibility as an honest citizen end, am I supposed to keep that ticket and dispose of it in a way that noone can reuse it?
  by amtrakowitz

I'm not sure why 12-car rush hour train random sweeps has to be any less effective than traditional railroad style where conductors try to lift every ticket
The fare recovery ratio says it all.

Besides, NJ Transit trains do not have automatically-operated trap doors and the on-board personnel are needed.
POP is very much the "honor system". The only way you can say it is not is if fare agents are present on the system at all times, checking all passengers; they are not
You're welcome to your opinion, but please state it as an opinion and not as fact. I believe what you're saying is the same as if one would say "Stopping at red light is honor system. The only way you can say it is not is if police are at every intersection at all times". Substitute any other scenario where one must balance one's chances of getting away with wrongdoing vs the possibly severe punishment if one gets caught
Apples and oranges. At traffic lights, if you fail to stop at the intersection when the light turns red, you're extremely likely to get in an accident, because that cross traffic is going to start moving; and you have to be the first car at the intersection too. Your likelihood to be caught when riding without a ticket on a POP system is way, way lower.
Germany, long famed for the proof-of-payment system on almost all of its public transit, is suffering from a high level of fare evasion currently
Please cite the documentation you have to support this statement
This would be my documentation.