• Airbrushes

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by ANDY117

I'm going to start painting my own locomotives, and am looking at which airbrush to use. I have never even used one before, so what would you all reccommend?

by trainiac

Badger Model 150. :-)

by astrosa

One of the classic beginner airbrushes recommended by magazines is the external-mix Badger 350. It's pretty simple and inexpensive yet you can get decent results with it - better than Badger's 250, which is probably the cheapest airbrush in the world. Badger usually sells starter sets that include everything you need, even a can of compressed gas for propellant.

On the other hand, there's nothing that says you can't start off with a better-quality airbrush. The Badger 200 is an internal-mix model, which gives much better results than the 250 or 350. At the same time, it's not too complicated and should be easy to get used too. I don't know the price offhand but I'm sure it's a reasonable investment considering that it will probably last you for several years until you get into more advanced painting and weathering techniques.

Aztek (Testors) is also a major manufacturer of airbrushes. They sell several different models that are all very easy to use. Because of the way they're designed, though, you have to clean them using proper solvents or else they get all gunked up inside. They're pretty lightweight and ergonomic, so they're a pleasure to use.

As a side note, airbrushing requires a lot of patience and practice. You're not going to get great-looking results on the first try, so test your techniques on a scrap model until you get the hang of it. Even then it can be difficult to get a smooth finish, so you have to be willing to strip off the paint and try again if you're not satisfied. Check the magazines for articles on the basics of airbrushing - Model Railroader tends to publish one every few years.

by XRails

I too am looking for airbrushes and am on a pretty tight budget. Will the 250 work for simple projects? The schemes I am looking to paint are very simple, usually only requiring me to drench the model in a certain color and decal the rest.
  by retired grouch

Might I suggest a Paasche. They've been around for years, and are quality. Look on eBay for a Model VL. Photo retouchers now scan and digitally retouch, so commercial artists are unloading them.

retired grouch
who's been using a VL for about 15 years

by astrosa

The 250 should work for simple applications as long as you have a good source of air and pay close attention to how much you thin the paint. The propellant cans don't last all that long but they do provide the right amount of pressure. Also, "drench" is a rather appropriate word, since that's basically the kind of paint flow you'll get from the 250. But if you know what you're doing you can get a smooth finish and even do a little bit of general weathering. At around $20 for a complete starter set, it's the most economical way to get started in basic airbrushing.

I don't know how much more the Badger 350 costs, but you may want to consider that one too. It has a little bit more flexibility than the 250, since I believe several nozzle sizes are available. It's also easier to adjust the airflow and paint flow. Compared to the 250, it's one step closer to a good-quality airbrush.

by ANDY117

My first project will be repainting that Mantua NYSW GP20. I don't like the yellow, or the green on it. I will also be adding directional lights, ditch lights, and plows.
  by jmp883

I own a Badger.....I'm at work and can't remember the model #, but it is a great little brush.

Someone mentioned Paasche. I've used them...a very good airbrush. I don't use my airbrush enough to want to spend the money for a Paasche, though.

Joe P :-D

by bentnosewillie

In Badger's line I recommend the 350 over the 250. The 350 isn't a lot more expensive, and gives a lot more room to grow. I started with a 250 and outgrew it in a little over a year, then bought a 350. That served me well for 13 years before I went to my present 200, and the 350 is now working for someone else for a living. The 350 is easy to learn to use and to clean, is simple, and very reliable.

Badger have a good product and back it incredibly well.

by Otto Vondrak

I also reccomend getting some books and videos on how to airbrush. Badger has a few, so does Kalmbach. Check them out. Unless you are one of those "learn by doing" folks...

-otto-

by ANDY117

I think the 350 sounds best for me.