Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

There are two former ConnDot pool cars transfered to SLE when the 10 centerdoor cars were delivered. they can be recognized by the black lettering for name instead of red lettering. the cars were optherwise completely relettered and labeled.

by DutchRailnut

Eventually to MNCR/Conndot pool, but unless a bunch of dual-modes are found I'm afraid that about 19 Conndot cars and 23 West of Hudson cars will just be sitting around.

The few trailers were probably put in service to compensate for cars out of service due to flatspots.

With MNCR shop the only game in town for wheel-trueing they have to stand in line till its their turn.

by JayMan

Without locos the VRE cars may prove useless. Oh well, they have a long time to find them (locos).
  by nh chris

Are the FL9-ACs really so unreliable that no one would consider using them to pull the now-freed coaches from SLE service? Or do they no longer qualify, due perhaps to lack of 3rd rail shoes?

by Fred G

David Telesha wrote:Just was railfanning in Stratford, CT and of the 5 trains I saw, one of the SLE thru trains had *2* VRE coaches between the GP40PHII-2 and the cab-car!!!

Also saw 6695 (twice once north and once southbound making six passing trains total) just out of the paint shop with the CDOT ROGER SHERMAN coach, in addition to 2 SLE cars.. So there is at least one CDOT coach in SLE service...

I'll post the link to my pictures when I get them, but it'll be a week maybe...
Very cool. I saw them in Old Saybrook this afternoon around 4 pm. They're still decked out in the VRE scheme, but with a small brass plaque citing ConnDOT. Did I have my camera? Yes. Was I quick enough? No.
I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

by Stephen B. Carey

Does anyone know who built the VRE coaches on SLE service, are they Bombardier as well? I know thier not Shoreliners because there's a big height difference.

by emfinite

Here's a shot I got in May of the VRE coaches on an SLE consist at New Haven State Street:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=105023

by KFRG

Stephen,
The VRE car's were built by a Brazilian company by the name of Mafersa.

by Stephen B. Carey

The VRE car's were built by a Brazilian company by the name of Mafersa.

Thanks, I had a feeling they weren't Bombardier, does anyone have any interior photos, Id love to see one because I had the luck of being on one of the only SLE trains with Constitution Liners (ex, SPV-2000), on the whole thing.