Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#116539  by metra 613

Does anyone have a favorite metra locomotive number? If so why do u like that number for?

#116665  by Joe

Ooo dang, I don't remember the number of the first MP36 I saw. It had to have been #402-407 though. DANG. Hopefully it was 402 because that was the first one I ever took a picture of. (I didn't have a camera and was not yet a railfan at the time of seeing my first MP36 :( )

#402 State of Illinois, Final Answer :-D

#116667  by MikeF

Joe wrote:(I didn't have a camera and was not yet a railfan at the time of seeing my first MP36 :( )
Yet you somehow became a railfan after that? I would think the sight of an MP36 might turn a person off to trains entirely. :P

#116676  by burlington nothern 9903

thats a tough one i was going to say 402 because that was first mp36 i seen but thats been taken so iam going to say now huh 214 because that not onley was the the last F40 ever made it was the last locmotive made at EMD in La Grange and it has the operation lifesaver logo on the side so all around its a great engine.
Last edited by burlington nothern 9903 on Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

#116685  by metra 613

MikeF wrote:
Joe wrote:(I didn't have a camera and was not yet a railfan at the time of seeing my first MP36 :( )
Yet you somehow became a railfan after that? I would think the sight of an MP36 might turn a person off to trains entirely. :P
Yea, there allmost make me stop rainfaning :wink:

#116686  by metra 613

Well lets see my will be 613, And then 614 . Then it will be all the other f40c. for f40ph it will be 164 . for f40ph-2ms will be 208 since i see that one alot.
Last edited by metra 613 on Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

#116730  by Genevasub

I always smile a little whenever I see F40PHM-2 #190, because those three digits are the month and year that my daughter was born...

#116926  by Joe

MikeF wrote:
Ah yes, well we all know you can't accept other people's opinions.

#116928  by MikeF

Joe wrote:Ah yes, well we all know you can't accept other people's opinions.
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean; I think most people here would agree that I tend to be rather open-minded. I'm sorry if my joke offended you. If you'd like to discuss this further, please contact me privately.

#116940  by metraRI

I would rather see an MP36 over an F40PHM-2 anyday...its too bad RI has the least amount of MP36's.

#117068  by Genevasub

For the sake of variety, I wouldn't mind seeing a F40PHM-2 or an MP36 on the UP-W every now and then, even though I know it's not gonna happen. Gets pretty boring seeing just F40's every day, but at least there's plenty of freight traffic to keep things interesting...

#117233  by F40CFan

Number 42, later renumbered to 602 by Metra.

I was living in Bensenville in 1984 during its centenial and contacted the Milwaukee Road about participating. They declined. I then contacted the trustee, Richard Ogilvee who promptly agreed to a display. The showcase was a freshly painted #42, sparkling clean in the Bensenville yard along side various freight equipment.

They set up buses to take people from downtown to the display.

It was fun. Great memory.

#117264  by AmtrakFan

None I hate Metra.

#117301  by MikeF

AmtrakFan wrote:None I hate Metra.
Then why bother posting here?

#117312  by Metra 47 607

my favorite is 607 and 614. 607 beacuse I had a model made of it and I have been up in both of them the cabs are great and roomy. but all of the F40Cs are my favorites. Long live the mighty F40C!