Railroad Forums 

• Youngstown-Cleveland Commuter Service

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#254870  by TB Diamond

When did this service end? Can recall E-L trains 28 & 29 but do not know if they survived ConRail. I last photographed train no. 28 in Mantua on August 15, 1975.

#255455  by Big Al

The Youngstown-Cleveland Commuter Service last run was on Jaunary 14, 1977

#255583  by TB Diamond

Big Al: Thank you. Was in Mantua a few years ago on my way east. The station was still there, but no tracks, alas.

#270845  by jtbell

Yep, I think the tracks now go only as far as Aurora. I rode that train a few times when I was growing up in Warren in the '60s and going to college at Hiram in the '70s. I didn't take any pictures of it, alas.

One Friday while I was at Hiram, I walked three miles to the E-L station in Garrettsville, boarded the afternoon train, got off in Warren, walked a block to the fire station where my father worked, and rode home with him for dinner. Of course my parents drove me back to Hiram on Sunday, but now that I think of it, I could probably have taken the morning train on Monday and gotten to Hiram in time for my first class even with the walk from Garrettsville!

#272073  by shlustig

Post-Conrail, the line was kept intact out to Chamberlain Rd. (east of Aurora) to serve a Carlyon Corp. plastics plant. After the plant closed, the track was cut just east of the Solon depot at the Solon Rd. crossing. Trackage is still there, presumably rail-banked.

Current operation is by NS. Local service extends out to N. Randall for a few consignees. The local is based at E. 55th St. (von Willer) Yard.