Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by JamesT4

I was on the yellow line and I see CTA employees putting together the third rail so that it can stop running on over head power lines.

I think it will be good for it to run it on third rail, but how will the people like it.

What do you think about the CTA converting the yellow line from overhead power to third rail.
Last edited by JamesT4 on Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MikeF

From an operations standpoint, third rail is more reliable than overhead wire and doesn't require a specialized fleet. Actually I'm surprised it took this long to convert the Swift to third-rail.

From a railfan standpoint, it is quite disappointing to see the last operating vestige of the North Shore Line torn down.

by ctaman34

i think it should the overhead wire is close to 90 years old

by Tony T.

Will it "RUN" better, I am sure it will. Speaking as a railfan, it is indeed another part of history gone forever. I used to ride the Swift in my Devry days and that was always fun. Oh well, progress they say...

TT

by MikeF

ctaman34 wrote:i think it should the overhead wire is close to 90 years old
The Skokie line has been under wire for 80 years, but today's wire is not all original.

by Otto Vondrak

When is the official cutover on the Skokie Swift to third rail?

-otto-

by MikeF

It's not been determined for sure yet, but it looks like it could be as early as Labor Day. The CERA has scheduled a "last trip under the wire" fantrip with the 4271 and 4272 for Sept. 5, so the wire certainly will be live at least until then.

The wire most likely will remain up for quite a while after the changeover is complete -- taking it down is an unnecessary expense for the very fiscally-challenged CTA.

By the way, what exactly is the poll question asking? Will the Swift run better on overhead wire or third rail? The answer is undisputably yes; without wire or third rail it won't run very well at all. :wink:

by MarkW

The wire is no more. As of Monday, 9/13, The Swift is running third rail only. Last train under the wire was Friday 9/9 at 10PM.

by MarkW

The wire is no more. As of Monday, 9/13, The Swift is running third rail only. Last train under the wire was Friday 9/9 at 10PM.

by byte

Yup. A friend of mine rode it tonight and said that a pair of Purple line railcars were being used on it (incidentally, it was the half-3200, half-2600 mismatched pair). [For those outside of the Chicago area, Purple line (or any other line except yellow, for that matter) railcars don't have pantographs]

by MikeF

Has the wire actually been taken down or simply de-engergized?

by ctaman34

where are the photos?

by byte

I think the wire's still up - though I'll ask the guy I know who saw the purple line train running on the swift the other day. From what I heard on the fantrip, it sounded like they were in no hurry to take it down and it might stay up for a few months yet.

by byte

This text is here to distract everyone from the double post I made. Whops.

by ctaman34

are the pans still going up