Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#730634  by AMTK347

Today, I rode the train from Zion to Evanston. I was standing in the head end door/window of the cabcar and I got yelled by the conductor for railfanning. He told me that I wasn't allowed to stand there. I had no cameras I hope they're not going to outlaw railfanning. Has this happened to anyone else?
 #730886  by doepack

I do not know of any "official" rule prohibiting folks from standing in the aisle by the front window in the cab car, but where people sit and/or stand in open cars is up to the conductors' discretion. Personally, I've never had a problem with it, most conductors I've seen allow myself and others to stand by the cab car window as long as you're not interfering with the operation of the train or other passengers...
 #730962  by Batman2

AMTK347 wrote:Today, I rode the train from Zion to Evanston. I was standing in the head end door/window of the cabcar and I got yelled by the conductor for railfanning. He told me that I wasn't allowed to stand there. I had no cameras I hope they're not going to outlaw railfanning. Has this happened to anyone else?
Weird. I can't attest to the niceness of the conductors on a bunch of trains, and I haven't taken a train in Chicago since August, but I've never met a mean conductor on a UP-North train. And I used to take the train to school every day. Again, weird.
 #731194  by bones

It's not a railfanning issue, but a safety issue. They don't want anybody getting hurd should you hit something.
 #731790  by ryanbytes

I've done it a couple times on the BNSF. The trips were from Aurora and I rode at the door the whole way in. I asked the conductor for permission each time and he had no problem. After seeing some close calls I decided that I had enough of the door view. I think this is one of those things where it's better to ask permission than forgiveness.
 #731821  by Milwaukee_F40C

Couple things- the door is a weak point that can easily get bashed in a collision, even the side doors. Standing isn't the safest thing either, since the train slams from side to side sometimes going over diamonds or frogs at high speed.

I haven't ever encountered rude conductors although some of them are sort of crusty. Ticket agents are rude. :P
 #735751  by buddah

Ive never run into that problem, yet! most times Im riding SWS or MED however I've been told often im not a large or very tall person but I look quite intimidating and my attire at time and facial looks scare even police officers they always call back up, one finally told me when I asked " why did you call for back up" he said "I wouldn't take you on alone in a dark ally but now I see your a nice guy were cool".