Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

That's what I thought. But how did we travel on all three divisions via MO wye for the ACMU fan trip? Were there three separate crews?

Regardless, no need for a new branch across the Bronx- the pysical connection already exsists.

-otto-

by LIRailfan79

Otto Vondrak wrote:Build a new branch from Melrose on the Harlem Line across the Bronx to Yankee Stadium on the Hudson Line? What are you talking about? A Yankee Stadium station on the Hudson is not restricted only to the Hudson Line. Currently, any train can operate off the Harlem/New Haven Line around the wye connector at MO and head up the Hudson Line. It's not a regular move, but it does happen. And the wye already has third rail. All you would need are crews that are qualified on more than one line (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
but having to make a reverse move is very cumbersome, time consuming and expensive, with my idea any regularly scheduled Hudson, Harlem or New Haven train can just make a simple addt'l stop at the stadium to pick up or discharge fans. also, the Harlem and New Haven trains would only need to use the special spur during game times. unless MNRR wanted to make that the new permanent ROW.
Last edited by LIRailfan79 on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by DutchRailnut

Special moves and excursions get coverd out of GCT(already 3 line qualified) or of extra list.
any stadium trains would need to be made part of regular runs however.
or entire extra list on outlying terminals need to be requalified on 3 divisions, one hell of expense for MNCR.

by mncommuter

Here's a shot of the temporary "station" at the Yankee Stadium parking lot, on the river side of the tracks

by Lackawanna484

WCBS-880 traffic watch, posted a little while ago:

Transit METRO NORTH: IN THE EVENT OF A TRANSIT STRIKE, +SHUTTLE TRAIN SERVICE+ WILL OPERATE BETWEEN THE BRONX - GRAND CENTRAL STATION....ALSO A PARK & RIDE STATION WILL BE SET UP AT YANKEE STADIUM FOR SERVICE TO GRAND CENTRAL STATION++.
8:02 PM
Transit METRO NORTH(CONT.) ++ TRAINS ON THE HARLEM & HUDSON LINES WILL SKIP THEIR REGULAR BRONX STOPS..NEW HAVEN LINE TRAINS WILL MAKE ALL REGULARLY SCHEDULED STOPS ++.

by Dieter

You had better all hold your breath. The temporary facility at Yankee Stadium is still in place, and probably will be until the workers forge a final contract agreement.

I would take this as a bad sign that commuters may still have to hoof it through Manhattan yet.

Dieter.
Last edited by Dieter on Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Otto Vondrak

LIRailfan- no "reverse" move is needed in the traditional sense. If my train is coming from Brewster or New Haven, the train would simply negotiate the wye track connector at MO and continue on it's journey northward up the Hudson Line.

This greatly simplified map should explain it. HArlem and New Haven Lines come in from upper right... go around the wye and head up the Hudson Line towards upper left. Combined Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines continue to GCT off the bottom of the map... there's nothing "cumbersome" about it.

-otto-

by District D RTC

Cheapest way to do it would be to make a single side platform at the location of the temp boxes. Then, ANY Hudson train could serve it by entering the HBY lead at CP-6, and coming back out at CP-8. MN might not want through trains traversing HBY, and therefore might opt for a simple x-over at CP7. One train could come off the 'Haven and one off the Harlem and turn right at CP106, accross the board at CP6, and then lay up in HBY. EASY, Simple, and cheap.

I'm sure if MN actually elected to do this there would be a provision for crews, perhaps they'd call an extra crew for the 'Haven and Harlem off the GCT list, and dead head them up, have them run down, then swing time at HBY, then run back, and deadhead home. QUITE POSSIBLE.

I'd imagine that for regular weeknight games, 2 SB and 2 NB Hudson trains could handle all the traffic with Harlem & 'Haven passengers transferring at 125 or GCT. Then for Friday, Sat, Sun, and special games tthere could be 1 'Haven, 1 Harlem and maybe 1 dedicated Hudson extra. Could easily be done, cheaply, and if done as I suggest would make use of the existing overpass. All it would need is an elevator.

--JSW

Otto Vondrak wrote:LIRailfan- no "reverse" move is needed in the traditional sense. If my train is coming from Brewster or New Haven, the train would simply negotiate the wye track connector at MO and continue on it's journey northward up the Hudson Line.

This greatly simplified map should explain it. HArlem and New Haven Lines come in from upper right... go around the wye and head up the Hudson Line towards upper left. Combined Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines continue to GCT off the bottom of the map... there's nothing "cumbersome" about it.

-otto-