Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Tommy Meehan

Did anybody see the temporary station at Yankee Stadium? This is going to be a great trivia question in a few years!

Was it north- and southbound platforms? Wood? Bridge plates? Four cars long??

Where exactly?

This was something I wanted to do - ride to Yankee Stadium - but I couldn't get off work until Friday and now it's too late. (But I'm not complaining.)

tommy

by DutchRailnut

Its on siding to highbridge yards(river side) right near yankee stadium walk bridge.
It has been put up every time a strike tread was utttered and yes two days after the strike it will be removed again.

by Stephen B. Carey

This may be a dumb question but why would you need a stop at Yankee Stadium if there is a strike on the subway?

by Lackawanna484

Stephen B. Carey wrote:This may be a dumb question but why would you need a stop at Yankee Stadium if there is a strike on the subway?
Lots of parking nearby, and many (subway using) people live in the neighborhood.

by Tommy Meehan

I guess the other obvious question is why can't they do this during baseball season? Something that has been "under study" since before Metro-North even existed.

It would sure beat having to go back and forth to 125th St on the 4 subway train. Which is STILL better than driving. The last time I went by car it took 45 minutes just to get out of the parking lot.

Tommy

by The RailMan

It was brought up in a previous thread that if they were to do that, people would take MN rather than park their cars in the stadiums lot. Makes sense if you think about it, never thought of that before I saw that thread.

by Lackawanna484

The impact of parking fees drives a lot of the Port Authority decisions, too. Took decades to get the PA to OK a connection to the nearby railroad at Newark Airport and JFK, but parking garages went in in a flash.

The Yankees and the local neighborhood get a lot of revenue / jobs from parking fees. Nobody has any interest in sharing it with MetroNorth if they can avoid it.
  by MTASUPT

As of 12/23 the temporary platforms were removed from service. Now with Damon in town, would be nice to take the "Main Line to the West" for a ride to the Stadium!
  by Lackawanna484

MTASUPT wrote:As of 12/23 the temporary platforms were removed from service. Now with Damon in town, would be nice to take the "Main Line to the West" for a ride to the Stadium!

Could MetroNorth / MTA run a passenger train from New Haven to a future Yankee Stadium stop?

by DutchRailnut

yes acces to Hudson line from Harlem/New Haven line is via the Wye at Mott Haven jct. but why speculate on when or even If it will happen.
  by MTASUPT

Sounds like a little Redsox in you!!!! LOL
  by Terrapin Station

Tommy Meehan wrote:Did anybody see the temporary station at Yankee Stadium? This is going to be a great trivia question in a few years!

Was it north- and southbound platforms? Wood? Bridge plates? Four cars long??

Where exactly?
tommy
I got photos. See here:

http://www.railfanwindow.com/gallery/album244

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Lets Go Mets!! :wink:

by mncommuter

Here's a shot of a shuttle at the "station"

And a very strange sight!!

I guess that's one good thing about the new electronic big board that the old flip style board couldn't have accomplished!