Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1084400  by OportRailfan

I believe that's one of the original tunnels into the old Hudson terminal. They were kept in service I believe while they built the original world trade center in the 70s
 #1084664  by 25Hz

So, that explains the circular hole near where the south tower was.

#1085995  by Don31

OportRailfan wrote:I believe that's one of the original tunnels into the old Hudson terminal. They were kept in service I believe while they built the original world trade center in the 70s
Thats my understanding as well. I think the NY Times had an article about it a few years ago.
 #1086112  by Ken W2KB

25Hz wrote:So, that explains the circular hole near where the south tower was.

I recall seeing the tunnels per the older photo. Look carefully behind the steelwork in the right foreground of the newer photo and you can see the circular outline for the tunnel into the Hudson Terminal. The prominent circle is the outbound tunnel.
 #1086380  by Terry Kennedy

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The "temporary" tunnels were used from 1967 until the opening of the new WTC terminal on July 6, 1971.
Which came complete with trippy 70's-style notices in Hudson Terminal:

(The bright spots in the "n" of "Center" are a reflection of the camera flash, not part of the poster - this was taken during my museum exhibition in 2003 and it was under glass.)

That must have been pretty disconcerting next to the existing Hudson Terminal signage:

I could probably dig out the boring version of the notice which says that Hudson Terminal would be closed over the long weekend as part of the reconfiguration work, if anybody wants to see it.
 #1086442  by BigUglyCat

Terry Kennedy wrote:
I could probably dig out the boring version of the notice which says that Hudson Terminal would be closed over the long weekend as part of the reconfiguration work, if anybody wants to see it.
I'd like to see it, T.
 #1087565  by Terry Kennedy

ExCon90 wrote:Make that two who'd like to see it.
I went through my collection of rolled service notices, but it seems to have been split into 2 storage tubes somewhere along the way (probably when everything came back from the museum exhibition). All of the 1950 and newer notices aren't in the tube I found. I'll have to go digging for the rest - they may have been rolled up inside something else. That means I'll need to take all of the possibilites to a large clean room (for example, Haskin's original 1880's drawing is on varnished linen, 25' x 3', give-or-take) to examine them.

I'll post back when I find it. In the meantime, here's the one for the 33rd St. station:

#1088089  by ExCon90

Thanks for posting -- I like to see old announcements like that. Although they might have said "a new terminal TO BE CALLED 33RD STREET but located at 32nd Street."
 #1088259  by 3rdrail

Entrance to the old IRT WTC-Cortlandt Street Station on the 1/9 during recovery operations. It was extremely unstable after taking a direct pounding, resulting in lateral movement of main supports.
 #1107648  by 25Hz

3rdrail wrote:Entrance to the old IRT WTC-Cortlandt Street Station on the 1/9 during recovery operations. It was extremely unstable after taking a direct pounding, resulting in lateral movement of main supports.
http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abando ... landt.html