Railroad Forums 

• WMATA - Metrorail operators' certifications lapsed

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1597784  by JDC

On May 15 Metro announced - admitted - that hundreds of metrorail operators' certifications had lapsed and as a result it would have to operate at longer headways due to 72 of those operators being removed from service. https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/loca ... s/3052136/.
 #1597793  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:29 am I have to agree, this is a management issue. Classes should of been held virtually and then testing in person.
The training is basically knowledge of the route, something that could be integrated with video from the cab, for routes.
This could have been done remotely.
 #1598855  by farecard

Unfortunately, what this tells me is that, despite GM Wiedefeld's efforts, WMATA is still so stovepiped that there's far too little cooperation between units to act cohesively.

The ROCC debacle is an obvious example but there are others. I recall a discussion years ago with an insider about signaling issues and 'corrugated track.' The rough track causes sparking that disrupt signalling.

I mentioned that this is fixable; build up the rail with welding, then grind it smooth. His response told me volumes:
Why would [track maintenance] ever want to help out [signaling]?