• WMATA funding/fairbox recovery

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by farecard

The Ft Totten crash has thrown fuel on the flames re: Metro funding.

Besides line-item funding, Uncle Sam indirectly pays via the employee transit subsidy. I'm curious:
  • What % of Metro travel is by USG employees using the benefit?
  • Others [Non USG employee] subsidy?
  • What kind of dollars is that per year?
  by HokieNav

Not much.

If I had to wager a guess, less than a quarter of trips are made by .gov employees. Since the subsidy isn't taken by all, that would put the amount of subsidy money in the farebox at something less than 20%.

I'm sure someone with knowledge of the federal budget may be able to ferret out how much money is spent on the program overall.
  by justalurker66

Google "wmata funding" ... in 2005 the GAO said:
http://www.gao.gov/htext/d05358t.html (text)
http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-05-358T (pdf)

"WMATA relied on federal funding to pay for over 60 percent of the costs to build its Metrorail subway system. From 1969 through 1999, the federal government provided about $6.2 billion of the approximately $10 billion that WMATA spent to construct the original 103-mile system. About two-thirds of this federal funding, or $4.1 billion, came from direct appropriations. The remaining federal funding, about $2.1 billion, came from unused federal Interstate highway funds. In addition, nonfederal entities provided about $2.1 billion for Metrorail’s construction, and about $1.7 billion came from revenue bonds, and other sources."

"WMATA has relied on other federal funding to cover over 40 percent of its capital improvement costs over the last 10 fiscal years. Of about $3.5 billion in total funding that WMATA received from all sources for capital improvements from fiscal year 1995 through fiscal year 2005, about $1.5 billion, or about 43 percent, came from the federal government, and about $2.0 billion, or about 57 percent, came from the state and local jurisdictions that WMATA serves and from other sources. Most of the federal funding has come through grants administered by the Federal Transit Administration. Over the last 10 fiscal years, the federal grant funding has generally increased, but the nonfederal funding has varied. WMATA has combined and used its federal grant and nonfederal funds for eligible rail modernization, new construction and extensions, and bus rehabilitation programs and projects. WMATA also received and used about $49.9 million for congressionally designated projects during fiscal years 1995 through 2005."

There are more details, mostly capital improvements, in that document.
  by farecard

justalurker66 wrote: There are more details, mostly capital improvements, in that document.
But I seek the operating subsidy data
  by HokieNav

You might contact the writers at Greater Greater Washington (local transit blog, I think I linked to their coverage earlier in the wreck thread). They publish some pretty sweet Metro budget analysis and may be able to produce some numbers, it seems they've really got their stuff together on that front.