• WMATA 2009 Rail Rodeo

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by SchuminWeb

So I attended (or at least tried to attend) the WMATA Rail Rodeo with a friend. Here is my reportback:

http://www.schuminweb.com/schumin-web/j ... hp?id=1155

For those of you who have attended past rodeos, what was your experience like? It appears that mine was not typical of most rail rodeos...
  by tommyboy6181

Last I remember, the Rail Rodeo is a public event. After all, if it is not, why does WMATA post directions on their website on how to get to Branch Ave or Greenbelt yard every year? The breakdown in communication there does not surprise me.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

tommyboy6181 wrote:Last I remember, the Rail Rodeo is a public event. After all, if it is not, why does WMATA post directions on their website on how to get to Branch Ave or Greenbelt yard every year? The breakdown in communication there does not surprise me.
They didn't post that info this year...
  by Sand Box John

Generally, public attendance at the rail rodeos has been minimal over the years. I have attended five, three at Greenbelt and two at Branch Avenue. The only time that I know of where there were more then one member of the general public attending is when Oren, Tristan and myself attended the 05 03 2003 rodeo at Greenbelt.

I haven't attended the WMATA rail rodeo in sense 05 06 2006.

Schumin description and pictures of this year rodeo at Branch Avenue would lead me to believe that this years rodeo was an in house event that was primarily run for the competitor only.

In the past, besides the food there were model railroad displays, an employee car (automobile) show, children's play area, sales of metro merchandise, a pair of cars on static display on one of the shop tracks and some tables with various non specific displays on them.

It is my understanding the original reason why the rodeo was moved from Greenbelt to Branch Avenue was because of the construction of the back shop building at Greenbelt.
  by SchuminWeb

I threw the question regarding the rodeo at Catoe in the most recent LunchTalk chat, and here's what I came up with:
Silver Spring, MD: A friend and I, both rail enthusiasts, attempted to attend Metro's rail rodeo, normally open to the public, on May 9 at Branch Avenue. I was disappointed to find out that the event was not being run as a public event this year, after being led by customer service to believe that the event was open to the public, and being granted entrance to the yard by the security guard at the gate, which furthered that perception. Once there, while the Metro employees present were extremely courteous (Mr. Daniel George stands out in this regard in particular), we were ultimately asked to leave the event due to the event's not being open to the public this year.When planning next year's rail rodeo, as well as subsequent years' rodeos, please make these events open to the public once again. I believe that making the event open to the public does a tremendous service for Metro, as it really shows what Metro is made of, allowing Metro's talented operators and mechanics the chance to showcase their skills in a way that the riding public normally does not get to see. Additionally, considering how genuinely courteous everyone was at the rodeo, it shows a friendlier side of Metro as well than what most may see when riding.

Reply: Hello fellow rail enthusiast. As we have become an agency with a stronger focus on safety, we decided that it was better not to invite the public into our rail yards where the opportunities for injuries are plentiful. We are building a stronger safety culture, and while I understand your disappointment, I hope you understand that the decision was for safety reasons. Additionally, we scaled back the event considerably due to budget constraints. It was an event that was focused on the participants this year.