Railroad Forums 

• Wireless service in tunnels

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1354185  by srepetsk

I was at the WMATA meetings yesterday. Nobody likes the 5-year current timeline at all from WMATA to the police & fire officials that were there. At the same time, nobody at all is willing to commit to a deadline sooner than that.
 #1354197  by JDC

srepetsk wrote:I was at the WMATA meetings yesterday. Nobody likes the 5-year current timeline at all from WMATA to the police & fire officials that were there. At the same time, nobody at all is willing to commit to a deadline sooner than that.
I think the issue is the length of time needed to work in the tunnels, which disrupts service on nights/weekends and competes with safety-related work that likely takes priority. Plus, it isn't Metro's workers doing this work, but those of a contractor (I believe) so there is even more scheduling to work around.
 #1354201  by wrivlin

From what I read, it seems Metro is either providing the parts OR the labor. But what I simply don't understand is how Metro can't complete its maintenance with all the time it has. Isn't that the entire reason Metro closes at night? Plus now there's track work on weekends, evenings, and mid-day on the Red Line. I just don't get how Chicago's CTA has managed to stay open 24/7 (on its two most popular lines), has had cell coverage in its tunnels for over a decade, and still only costs $2.50 flat! Granted, Chicago has fewer tunnels, but nonetheless it's absurd
 #1562100  by Sand Box John

Metro, AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon announce wireless service in rail tunnels systemwide
WMATA Media Release
01 27 2021

Actually it is more then 100 miles of tunnels. WMATA advertises 50.5 miles in subway, 50.5 X 2 tunnels equals 101 miles. Add the 3 pocket tracks in tunnels WMATA sometimes runs revenue trains through and you get just over 101.4 miles. WMATA also had cell service installed in the tunnels that are not used by revenue trains (A&C, B&E connectors, tail track south of Huntington, the 3 Fall Church Yard and 2 Glenmont Yard leads) pushing that figure past 105 miles.
 #1563214  by davinp

I'm frustated that WMATA still hasn't released a Smartrip add for Android or supporting Google Pay. It's been 5 months since they replaced the iOS app. What is taking so long to develop the Android app?
 #1563229  by daybeers

Yeah honestly. Google also doesn't charge a wild amount or take forever to have an app approved so idk what's going on.