Railroad Forums 

• Winslow Jct

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#11118  by Elwood

I have not been through Winslow Junction in a long time, what's new up there?

#11260  by JJMDiMunno

Lots of stone moving through there, I can tell ya that...this is the most stone I've seen move down the Beesley's in some time now...we have several 50-car blocks a week moving down these days, in 25-car segments with Magnolia siding being used as a staging yard for a block of 25, while the other block heads for SRNJ. I don't think they've moved a solid 50-car block down there in a while...

As for SRNJ's power, I don't know what's going on with that...it's been some time since I've been down that way also...well I'll be down there soon when the circus train runs but that'll probably be the next time I'll be there...

Take care.

#11530  by Elwood

what is the destination of the stone trains?

#11866  by JJMDiMunno

Elwood wrote:what is the destination of the stone trains?
Most of them are headed for A.E. Stone in Pleasantville...but some of them are for Crow Foot on the ex-CNJ...compared to Pleasantville's probably 15 unit trains of 50 cars this year so far, Crow Foot has received only maybe two 50-car unit trains.

Take care.

#16701  by Elwood

Drove through Winslow Jct today, there's a lot of new kmotive power down there I have never seen before. Didn't have time to stop and look around. but whose are thy and where did they come from?

Elwood

#16825  by JJMDiMunno

Elwood wrote:Drove through Winslow Jct today, there's a lot of new kmotive power down there I have never seen before. Didn't have time to stop and look around. but whose are thy and where did they come from?

Elwood
As for "whose are they", they're all owned entirely by SRNJ now.

And, SRNJ is now looking for additional power as well...expecting a large car count for this year and additional power will be necessary...

Note, that 1801 (The P&W U18) is going to Salem soon...it's looking like they'll just run it up under it's own power to BROWN and reverse down the Vineland Sec. to the Salem Runner...kinda like the move they did with 102 to turn it a little while ago...
 #17047  by kevikens

I never seem to have any luck in catching trains actually moving in and out of Winslow Jct. perhaps because I only go down on weekends. When is a good time and day to see things moving around ? Thanks

#17211  by JDFX

So whats with the new power on the SRNJ?

Are they replacing older power? Are they expanding? Anyone in the know?
 #17322  by JJMDiMunno

kevikens wrote:I never seem to have any luck in catching trains actually moving in and out of Winslow Jct. perhaps because I only go down on weekends. When is a good time and day to see things moving around ? Thanks
If you go down there on any weekday, you will see some SRNJ action most likely...at least working around in the yard there or going down to Crow Foot on the Southern. They're usually a morning / early afternoon operation, so that would be the time to get there to see them working...

CSAO CA-51 generally arrives around 4 - 5PM...they'll work the interchange and head north.

Coal trains move through, but they're very unpredictable...

Take care.

#17323  by JJMDiMunno

JDFX wrote:So whats with the new power on the SRNJ?

Are they replacing older power? Are they expanding? Anyone in the know?
Mostly, it's just because of the higher volume of cars being moved this year. I believe carloads have nearly doubled from 2003's counts to this year for SRNJ with all that stone they've been getting down there in Winslow. I think it's around 2 or sometimes even 3 50-car unit trains a week now...that's a lot for just 102 and 414 (when it's in service) to handle...

#17562  by NJ Vike

JJMDiMunno wrote:
Elwood wrote:Drove through Winslow Jct today, there's a lot of new kmotive power down there I have never seen before. Didn't have time to stop and look around. but whose are thy and where did they come from?

Elwood
As for "whose are they", they're all owned entirely by SRNJ now.

And, SRNJ is now looking for additional power as well...expecting a large car count for this year and additional power will be necessary...

Note, that 1801 (The P&W U18) is going to Salem soon...it's looking like they'll just run it up under it's own power to BROWN and reverse down the Vineland Sec. to the Salem Runner...kinda like the move they did with 102 to turn it a little while ago...
Trains magazine has reported that the NYS&W has two for sale.

How much do engines go for?

#17650  by JJMDiMunno

NJ Vike wrote:Trains magazine has reported that the NYS&W has two for sale.

How much do engines go for?
Actually depends on what types of engines they are, the age of the locomotives, condition, etc...