Railroad Forums 

• Wilmington and Northern

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#551744  by davemattfan5

Also, as of March, East Penn operates the W&N on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The crew is on duty at 7 am. While I prefer to photograph nude women, there are a lot of untapped shooting locations on this line for all ya'll (sorry for abominating the english language) railfans with cameras.
 #551748  by chefwrg

And if any of y'all (I can say that since I live in Virginia) happen to take any photos, especially on the W&N, I would love to see them. I don't get back up there at all, a lot of it is because I don't want to see all of the development of all the farm land (like putting Pocopson Elementary right on top of my favorite dove hunting field.)

Win
 #551895  by JimBoylan

I could have sworn there was a connection south from the west side of the diamond going around that big red building.
The current connection built after 1976 at Chadd's Ford Jct. isn't in the same quadrant as the long before 1972 connection.
Has there been any talk of rebuilding the line from Chadds Ford east for commuter rail? Wawa and Concodville Railroad, that's the last thing that was on that line. If I recall there was a severe washout between Rte 322 and Rte 1.
Lots of talk, very little money, and more than one spot of hurricane damage. Newspaper photos show a long washout on the side of the cliff just outside Wawa station, and a tilted bridge abutment closer to Concordville. Chester County is like New Jersey, the North end gets the transportation money, that is, to extend S.E.P.T.A. Main Line service to Thorndale.
 #552223  by thebigham

^Using Live Search, it looks like the track has been torn up east of Chadds Ford Jct. I thought it was still in place.
 #554580  by rob216

Yes the tracks east of Chadds Ford are gone in most places.
 #555259  by Flababo

Would anybody happen to know when Wawaset Station was torn down? The Chester County Historical Society records don't seem to have that information.
 #555506  by choess

The siding at Lenape Forge has been removed. East Penn has also taken up part of Pocopson siding and is storing maintenance equipment on the rest of it.
 #556304  by rob216

We have just finished putting in a switch just north of 926 and rebuilt that whole entire siding. Business has been slowly going up and we have out grown the run around track in Chadds Ford to do the shifting for the Octoraro Line. The rebuilt siding in Pocopson will help us out more since we will be able to hold up to 15 cars on it. Most of the shifting will take there since it will be bigger and wont be clogging up Route 1 when we do the shifting for the Octoraro line.
 #556633  by rob216

I am currently working on the track crew, and more then likely as a conductor when things pick up every more with East Penn.
 #557215  by choess

Thanks for the update, Robert. I was in fact held up on Rte 1 today by the morning shifter. It certainly looks like business is picking up!
 #572041  by rushhour

As of right now....What is the schedule of Operations on the W&N and/or Octoraro?
 #572353  by rob216

As of right now the Wilmington and Northern run three days a week. Mon, Wed, and Fridays.

The Octoraro line runs Tues. and Thursdays. But all that can change for trains as needed.
 #697367  by Red Arrow Fan

I'm not sure if this is technically about the Wilmington & Northern, but I have some questions about the part of this rail line from Coatesville to Elverson, PA (and beyond).

1. When did service stop on this segment (and when were the rails ripped up)?

2. Are the rails gone as far south as the Amtrak mainline in Coatesville?

3. Where did it go, northward after Elverson?

I just saw an aerial shot of the Elverson area on maps.live.com. Where the line used to pass under the PA Turnpike is now packed with stone. The Google satellite photo still shows a 3-bay overpass carrying the Turnpike over the ROW and a creek, I presume (not a sharp photo).