Railroad Forums 

• Why so many trains stopping at Wayne and North Broad

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1270190  by CComMack

NorthPennLimited wrote:bottom line, North Broad should be on the Do Not Resuscitate list. Like Logan or Nicetown train stations, the surrounding neighborhood is an urban wasteland.
Maybe it's a rough spot now, but you've got Temple-driven reinvestment heading north at a rapid clip; it should hit Broad and Lehigh in the next ten years. Fifteen at the very latest, and five is decently likely. That will be focused on student housing at first, but there's plenty of parcels up there with the zoning for big dense development. Since residents are returning to the city faster than the jobs, the reverse-commute from North Broad and North Philly stations will be a strong selling point as soon as the Temple kids put some eyes on the street.
 #1270219  by NorthPennLimited

The core focus for regional rail should be moving people from the suburbs into the city with run times that can equal the highway, not moving people in the city to other stops in the city. That's what busses, taxis, and subways are for.

People from the suburbs have NO business getting off at North Broad, except to (A) buy drugs, or (B) go to the methadone clinic on Broad and Lehigh.

For the time being, while North Broad, Hunting Park, Wayne Jct, Nicetown, and Logan are urban wasteland, I think the longer distance trains should only make Fern Rock in between Temple U and Jenkintown.

Let the CHE, Warminster, and Fox Chase make North Broad and Wayne Jct.

Train 5457 takes almost 2 hours to get from Doylestown to the Airport. That's ridiculous! You could drive to Atlantic City is less time than It takes the train to go 45 miles!
 #1270229  by Suburban Station

NorthPennLimited wrote:The core focus for regional rail should be moving people from the suburbs into the city with run times that can equal the highway, not moving people in the city to other stops in the city. That's what busses, taxis, and subways are for.
People from the suburbs have NO business getting off at North Broad, except to (A) buy drugs, or (B) go to the methadone clinic on Broad and Lehigh.
For the time being, while North Broad, Hunting Park, Wayne Jct, Nicetown, and Logan are urban wasteland, I think the longer distance trains should only make Fern Rock in between Temple U and Jenkintown.
Train 5457 takes almost 2 hours to get from Doylestown to the Airport. That's ridiculous! You could drive to Atlantic City is less time than It takes the train to go 45 miles!
It seems to me your point could have been made without your juvenile remarks about buying drugs or going to a methadone clinic. the CHE, Fox Chase, Norristown, and Lansdale lines should all make north broad st. There are plenty of trains that don't stop at north broad and I don't see any significant difference in trip time due to trains making north broad. I'd go so far as to say septa shouldn't be running airport trains from doylestown anyway, the airport trains should be coming from shorter run trains like fox chase and CHE to improve reliability. the snobs in doylestown can drive to the airport. If it makes you feel better, skip fern rock on trains making north broad.
http://septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/gln.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it also seems to me that you'd get a lot more time by eliminating every stop between doylestown and colmar, many of which are pretty worthless
 #1270278  by scotty269

NorthPennLimited wrote:The core focus for regional rail should be moving people from the suburbs into the city with run times that can equal the highway, not moving people in the city to other stops in the city. That's what busses, taxis, and subways are for.

I live just around Bethayres, and I work in different charter schools in North Philadelphia. Two of my schools are within 15 minute walks of North Broad/North Philadelphia stations.

Another school is near the tracks, dead set between Fern Rock and Wayne Jct, near the Logan subway stop.

So, please don't tell me that people from the suburbs only go into this area for drug related trips.
 #1270304  by Push&Pull Master

I guess Septa should close the MFL and the BSL as well. You can't be prejudice against all riders of that station because most of those riders might be perfectly fine people with no criminal records. Don't use drugs as an excuse.
 #1270309  by Suburban Station

NorthPennLimited wrote:Sorry to have misrepresented the 1% of the 0.000364% of regional rail ridership that use that station for legitimate commuting reasons.
you're okay with shutting down del val college, new britain, and chalfont then? presumably the only people using those stops just bought drugs in philly.
 #1270334  by SCB2525

NorthPennLimited wrote:The core focus for regional rail should be moving people from the suburbs into the city with run times that can equal the highway, not moving people in the city to other stops in the city.
REVERSE commutes. I'm not advocating having all or even many inbound peak trips stop there (I commute by train for a traditional commute and I wouldn't want it) but there is no reason why outbound AM, off-peak and inbound PM trains shouldn't.
 #1270436  by CComMack

I'd ask you to make a reasonable defense of this statement, but I find asking people to complete impossible tasks to be distasteful.
NorthPennLimited wrote:People from the suburbs have NO business getting off at North Broad, except to (A) buy drugs, or (B) go to the methadone clinic on Broad and Lehigh.
Uh huh. I remember people saying much the same (plus or minus the methadone clinic) about Broad/Spring Garden and 47th/Baltimore, back when I moved to Greater Philadelphia 14 years ago. I'm sure glad SEPTA cut service to both of those hellholes! Oh, wait...
 #1402053  by jmatchesky

Limited-Clear wrote:Ok so you think sealing and not having a police force in the vicinity means it will just stay sealed, yeah right!!!! They can seal 30th and not worry because there is a constant police force in the area, north broad would get a passing glance if they are lucky from the street overhead.

They could have poured a foot-thick concrete wall at each end of the thing, and 24 years later, it would absolutely still be sealed. There may be some shady things that go on in the neighborhood around that station, but I guarantee you nobody is spending a minute trying to carve through a concrete tunnel plug just to get into a useless tunnel.
 #1402099  by AlexC

Breathe into a paper bag guys, this is a TWO YEAR OLD thread.