Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Someone suggested that MNCR should run a farewell to F units trip.
The Negatives:
A farewell trip gets to point that pictures are hard to take.
Screaming railfans trying to get their points across.
F units are not allowed in to GCT on revenue trips.
F units have not powered a big train in a few years and HEP probably
would bite the dust.

Now for the alternative, buy an every day ticket on the Waterbury and or Danbury shuttles and visit the DRM and RMNE.
for a few bucks you can have fun, ride the cab car south and the coach north (ask conductor if you can put a sound recording device in rear vestibule) to record the F unit.
you will get a clean trip, no shouting and disturbing hordes of railfans ruining your recordings or pictures.
for about $4 each way you can run both lines.
Norwalk has the Switch tower museum.

by DutchRailnut

HEP can not be MUed. Only one HEP set can work at the time. and non has powered anything more than 3 cars in years.
The FL9's have plenty of power to pull a 8 car sert of Bombardiers its the HEP that can no longer handle that.

by Otto Vondrak

Why can't HEP power more than three cars?

What if two FL9's were used? One on either end, each powering three cars?

I have ridden behind and photographed the FL9's, I think a farewell journey of some sort would be a fitting tribute. My pie-in-the-sky dream is to get the two NYC units out for a victory lap, but I think DRM's "NYC" 2013 is toast (even if it was trailing dead).

I like the idea of an all-New Haven routing for a farewell journey. I don't know how HRRC would feel about an excursion running on their rails, though. I wouln't mind an around-the-world routing that starts in Stamford, runs up to Danbury (pause at DRM), over the Beacon Line (pause at Whaley Lake) to Beacon, then down the Hudson Line (pause for southbound shot at Breakneck) to MO, around the wye, then up to Woodlawn Jct and onto the New Haven for return to Stamford.

Who knows if any of this will happen? It's fun to talk about.

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

HRRC is excursion dead, last excursion from Devon to DRM was soooooo soooo slowwwww.
Tracks speed is mostly 10mph and a few miles of 25 mph.
the housatonic pilot did not exceed 10 mph , and the trip from Devon to Danbury took nearly 3 hour.
no the HEP system can not be split, the door protections runs and HEP circuit protection runs tru same HEP cables.
The FL-9 HEP turbo's are not upto the job anymore.
  by nh chris

If the FL-9s cannot be trusted to provide HEP to more than a shuttle's worth of cars, why not tack on a Genesis to the end of the train, a la the Alco FAs on the end of the LIRR trains years ago, providing only HEP service? Are there technical reasons this would not work?

I agree that the idea of a farewell trip for F units has legs; I hope someone in MN group tours is paying attention.

NH Chris
  by Noel Weaver

IF a farewell well trip with FL-9's were to take place, it probably would not
happen until fall, we are well into June and it takes time to set these things
up, promote and sell tickets etc. In addition, summer months are not the
best months for railroad excursions in general with people away on
vacation etc.
In late September, the demand for HEP could be less as temperatures are
likely to be cooler and AC's might not be working at their peak. Just
because they haven't been used on a bigger train in a while does not to
me necessarily mean that they can't.
A six car train might well be adequate with no non-revenue or extra cars
used, just make it know that capacity will be LIMITED. It seems to me
that two FL-9's would not have any major problems pulling a six car train
in Metro-North territory.
In the Amtrak FL-9 days, the typical consist between New York and
Albany was probably five or six cars, then you had the "Lakeshore", trains
48 and 49 with ten or so cars, still one FL-9, no HEP problems as a rule.
I have a suspicion that somebody in the Metro-North mechanical
department knows which FL-9's are in the best shape.
My gut feeling tells me that they will try a trip this fall sometime, I think it
can work too.
Noel Weaver

by njt4172

I thought I heard awhile back that some special FL-9 trip would run in 2006....Someone at Metro-North mentioned that it would go from Croton Harmon North and then east Via the Beacon line to Danbury and then down to Stamford.....I'm trying to find the post, but I can't find it now....

Anyone know more?
Steve

by MN Jim

The intent is to run a Farewell to the FL9s trip, and the plans for it are well under way. No dates or firm decisions on equipment yet, but it will *probably* start in Stamford, run up to Derby Jct., head west to Danbury, and back to Stamford. We'd like to do it with FL9s or F10s, but the Mechanical and Operations departments will have to o.k. it; I'm not sure where we stand on that yet. However, they've approved the operation of the trip, and talks are well under way with HRRC. We're very aware of the track conditions issue, but we seem to have gotten past it, at least philosophically.

More details in a few weeks when they're available.

Jim

by Tadman

So FL's cannot run tandem HEP like F40's? I just read that Via has to add locos to the Canadian solely for HEP reasons, not train weight reasons - evidently the 40-series prime mover can handle more than 7 cars, but 7 cars is max for HEP unit, so they add F40ph-2's to power the train. Also, I notice Metra runs max 7 cars with an F40, and then adds another one for power.

by DutchRailnut

On American HEP systems tandem operations is not possible.
In Canada all Hep systems have a A and B circuit so one locomotive can feed left trainline and other locomotive feed right trainline.
On amercan cars the left and right trainline is connected in junction box under the car and locomotive does not have a A/B set up either.
so even F40's south of canadian border can not split the HEP.
todays locomotives are good for 800 kw or plus or minus 16 cars.

by Overtime

I was reading the posts about a possible FL-9 farewll tour. What is RMNE ?

by DutchRailnut

Railway Museum of New England in Thomaston, just north of Waterbury.
  by Fred G

DutchRailnut wrote:Someone suggested that MNCR should run a farewell to F units trip.
The Negatives:
A farewell trip gets to point that pictures are hard to take.
Screaming railfans trying to get their points across.
F units are not allowed in to GCT on revenue trips.
F units have not powered a big train in a few years and HEP probably
would bite the dust.

Now for the alternative, buy an every day ticket on the Waterbury and or Danbury shuttles and visit the DRM and RMNE.
for a few bucks you can have fun, ride the cab car south and the coach north (ask conductor if you can put a sound recording device in rear vestibule) to record the F unit.
you will get a clean trip, no shouting and disturbing hordes of railfans ruining your recordings or pictures.
for about $4 each way you can run both lines.
Norwalk has the Switch tower museum.
I think you've hit a bullseye here, Dutch. Even on the ACMU Farewell, I took some extra steps to take photos to make it look like the train was in revenue service. And avoided the screaming railfans to boot :wink:

by Mr GP10

How about they do a pull-pull style lash up. 1 FL-9 on 1 end about 4 cars and 1 F-10 on the other end? There for a photo of each F unit type is available for photos minus the cab cars. only problem is where would the trip go? Any other thoughts? :-)

by Terminal Proceed

There is a trip in the VERY EARLY outline stages only. Possibly in the fall - of a farewell FL9 tour. No further details can be released at this time. When and IF the trip comes to pass it will be announced by group travel. Several options are being examined.