Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Noel Weaver

This is just my opinion but here goes.
If there is to be a farewell trip it should be just with the New Haven
painted FL-9's and only on trackage of the former New Haven Railroad.
Probably the Danbury and Waterbury Branches.
The two units should run back to back and pull just Connecticut DOT cars
with the red bands.
They should probably run around the train where necessary rather than
run from a cab car.
Again, JUST MY OPINION.
Noel Weaver

by mainline

Mr. Weaver has a good idea. I agree two New Haven painted FL9's with the CDOT coaches. No cab car. There would be more photo ops running around the train. At least the 2027 is still reliable.

by DutchRailnut

the plan is for MN1- 6 Shoreliners- MN2 and two FL-9m's
if the shoreliners will be red or blue is not known.
2027 failed tonight and was removed from 3 car shuttle.
Next.

by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:the plan is for MN1- 6 Shoreliners- MN2 and two FL-9m's
if the shoreliners will be red or blue is not known.
2027 failed tonight and was removed from 3 car shuttle.
Next.
Sounds good to me, if I am still in the area when this takes place, I will go.
Noel Weaver

by njtmnrrbuff

I will make every effort to go on this excursion. My suggestions for routes would be either this:
1. the same route that was used last year with the GEs.
2. the Hudson Line to the Beacon Line, and then whatever line that is that goes parrallel to 84 from Danbury. After that, it should take the Waterbury to the namesake city and then come back south to the ex-New haven main. Along the Waterbury, you have some good photo opporitunities, especially in the Ansonia area.

by mainline

Oh Well I guess I jinxed the 2027.

by DutchRailnut

The proposed route will be From Stamford to Devon and up the Waterbury to RMNE. From RMNE to Derby and accross the Housatonic to Danbury, Visit DRM and back to Stamford.

by njtmnrrbuff

That's actually a good idea, especially if the FL9 was origionally from the NH. Even though I haven't been on any of MN's excursions, I heard that they were good. I was a spectator. however, I hope to ride the possible one here. I wish transit would provide excursions for railfans. No offense, but they don't really like them since 9-11.

by MN Jim

Geez, the imaginations on these guys! Stamford to Waterbury to RMNE to Derby, over the Housatonic to Danbury and back to Stamford? GCT to Beacon to Danbury to Derby to Waterbury then back to GCT?

Where do you guys plan to put everyone up for the night on your trips around the MNR world? Especially with (supposedly) 6 Shoreliners plus the MN1 and MN2 filled with railfans...any hotels in the region with that many beds?

Put your hyperactive imaginations to rest. The fan trips will be announced officially next week, with ticket sales beginning immediately via the web. We're sure you'll be happy with the end result - even if it's not quite "around the world in a day".

Jim

Yeah, I couldn't resist on this one, Otto. It was just too ripe for the pickin'. Back to my cave now.

by Noel Weaver

MN Jim wrote:Geez, the imaginations on these guys! Stamford to Waterbury to RMNE to Derby, over the Housatonic to Danbury and back to Stamford? GCT to Beacon to Danbury to Derby to Waterbury then back to GCT?

Where do you guys plan to put everyone up for the night on your trips around the MNR world? Especially with (supposedly) 6 Shoreliners plus the MN1 and MN2 filled with railfans...any hotels in the region with that many beds?

Put your hyperactive imaginations to rest. The fan trips will be announced officially next week, with ticket sales beginning immediately via the web. We're sure you'll be happy with the end result - even if it's not quite "around the world in a day".

Jim

Yeah, I couldn't resist on this one, Otto. It was just too ripe for the pickin'. Back to my cave now.
I can't imagine people riding a trip of this nature not being able to get to
Stamford with all of the service available there. If I am still in the Albany
area at the time of the trip, I will try to get down to ride it.
Noel Weaver
  by Kurt

At the rate the FL9s seem to be failing lately, will any be left for any fare well trips? :( Or will the trip be protected by a P32-ACDM ( in New Haven paint).

by njtmnrrbuff

Either way, there should be an excursion. Look at the Susie-Q excursions in Jersey; transit geeps have followed the excursions and have been used at times.