Railroad Forums 

• Who pays for new sidings?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #506327  by RPM2Night

When the NY&A gets a new customer which requires a new spur or siding track to be put in, does the LIRR pay for the track work, or does the NY&A pay for the work? I guess the same would apply for those customer sidings and spurs that already exsist and who would pay to maintain them.

#506380  by tushykushy

Outside contractors usually put in new spurs.

For customers such as Coastal that use the wye, I believe pay royalities to the Long Island.

#506530  by jtunnel

Most of the time the customer pays for the switch and siding. And it is not cheap.

In the past few years NY&A got state money to upgrade sidings and hired a private contractor to do the work.

Railroads hardly ever pay for anything, directly. Railroads are beyond frugal. No money up front, no work. No matter how many carloads the potential customer may have.

#506537  by tushykushy

To further built apon what jtunnel said, just look at DiCarlo Foods out in Holtsville. Lots of hype behind that and look what it turned out to be. 2-3 car spot (not sure of the exact specs) and it's nowhere near as frequent as what was talked about.

I don't blame the method they use.

#506615  by RPM2Night

tushykushy wrote:For customers such as Coastal that use the wye, I believe pay royalities to the Long Island.
Which one's Coastal...the one garbage place in Pinelawn?

#506736  by Crabman1130

Yup. The place on New Highway near Republic Airport.

#506854  by Spartan Phalanx

Maybe DiCarlo has contracts with truckers that they can't get out of at the drop of a hat, and when the contracts expire they will make more use of rail......How many cars can DiCarlo hold, and what's the configuration of it's spur(s)?

#506904  by kuzzel540

It looks something like this.

The spur curves south from the main, to the side of the building. There is a gate there (I put it in blue). You can't see much past the gate.

#506921  by Spartan Phalanx

Great reply, K. Can you post anymore views like this of NYA customers on the Main Line? Thanks.

#506980  by jayrmli

In a case such as NYAR, the LIRR is responsible for the switch and the track up to the derail. Any work performed here is done by LIRR crews. Work on the other side of the derail is the responsibility of the customer.

Generally, if a customer wants service, they pay for everything. Depending on the volume though, the railroad may discount the fee(s) or have it paid over time through increased prices per carload. This only happens for really big customers.

Jay

#507609  by kuzzel540

Spartan Phalanx wrote:Great reply, K. Can you post anymore views like this of NYA customers on the Main Line? Thanks.
Google earth has an outdated view (the spur was built July 2006). Here is an updated view.