• Who is Kathryn D. Waters and why is a loco named for her?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by train2

Who is Kathryn D. Waters and why is a loco named for her? HHP-8 4913 is named for her on the nose. I noticed this for the first time this past week.
  by realtype

train2 wrote:Who is Kathryn D. Waters and why is a loco named for her? HHP-8 4913 is named for her on the nose. I noticed this for the first time this past week.
Yeah, that motor has been named after her for about a year or so. The name is on the right side of the cab on either end. She used to be the MTA Administrator before Paul Wiedefeld. I have no idea why 4913 is named after her. Frankly, I think that type of thing should probably reserved for governors or congressmen. Actually IIRC MARC's first new MPI locomotive (#10) is dedicated to Sen. Barbari Mikulski and has a large decal on the side.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2493/369 ... 886e_b.jpg
  by oknazevad

Way I see it, it's like a railroad naming equipment after it's officers, as once was common. Actually, it is a railroad namingg equipment after its former chief officer.