Railroad Forums 

• Whitcomb in Lake Wales Fla.

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#517015  by truman

The Depot museum in Lake Wales Florida has a Whitcomb locomotive on display. 85 ton center cab I think. The builders plate has been distorted. Does anyone know the history on this unit? The gent in the museum did not have any information other than it had been there longer than he had, over 16 years.

#517294  by GOLDEN-ARM

A museum?? All he could tell you was it had been there longer then he had? Sounds like one heck of a museum.......... :(

#517303  by Luther Brefo

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:A museum?? All he could tell you was it had been there longer then he had? Sounds like one heck of a museum.......... :(
Or simply an uninformed member. One cannot represent the whole.

To attempt to answer your question, their Whitcomb is of 1944 vintage. It is a 65 tonner.

The internet is a vast place and every now and again one can find a crumb of information.

#517306  by truman

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:A museum?? All he could tell you was it had been there longer then he had? Sounds like one heck of a museum.......... :(

You get what you pay for. Admission was free.
It was a depot. It was a museum. Mostly oriented towards the history of the citrus industry. There was the requisite working model RR. layout, (European no less) the station agents work station in the bay window, the loco, a decaying SAL caboose, and an equally sad looking heavy weight passenger car.

#517314  by DutchRailnut

There was a Whitcomb listed in Florida at IMC-Agrio Hopewell mine.
actually two, a 35 tonner and a 65 tonner frame number 60744 build 11-1947 ex IM&C 103 it came from the Phosphoria plant and before that from kingsford plant

#518986  by truman

That looks like the right frame number and date, the part of the plate where the weight is specified was distorted, probably from an impact.
A few blocks away I found a shop and a dead F-40 type loc. and there were red CF-7's scurrying around. Anybody know what railroad company this is?
 #628764  by truman

I was there again recently and was able to take a second look.
The unit is indeed a 65 tonner built in 1944 for the army transportation corps. Its serial number is 60422.

Re:

#1247428  by FLRailFan1

The Lake Wales Depot Museum is a nice small museum. I was there a few years ago and it was nice.