Railroad Forums 

• Where is MP36 on CSX between Buffalo and Erie?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1468948  by charlie6017

ctclark1 wrote:While you are not wrong on Bayview, this does not seem to follow all the way. Moving further south (TT west) I found another road where the milepost can be clearly seen, Matthews Rd in Portland at MP50 shows "B 50". Not trying to argue, just noticing. I'm wondering if Bayview is unique and shows the distance to Chicago because of its proximity to the division line at MP8.2? (This was a division line in the PC days as well, and I'm assuming NYC days...)

BTW, to answer the original question of this thread, MP36 is here give or take a few hundred feet. (I know it was already kinda answered, but a map helps visualize it, to me...)
You are correct, this was a division point at Bayview -- I forgot that when I typed my post last night.

Charlie
 #1468951  by sd80mac

Matt Langworthy wrote:
sd80mac wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:Bayview Rd in Hamburg is MP 532, so MP 36 is nowhere near Buffalo.

I believe that is OLD milepost. that's 532 miles to Chicago. they changed it years ago (don't know who changed NYC, PC or CR). CP draw is MP2, or close to that. CP 5 is Seneca yard

Lake ave is MP 6.32

And bayview crossing is MP 8 (QD8)

http://www.rochester-railfan.net/images ... ine492.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. I wasn't aware of the change. I'm surprised that old milepost is in such good condition. I had assumed CSX was maintaining it, but we all know what happens when someone assumes... ;)

And CR did maintaining it too!
 #1468952  by sd80mac

sd80mac wrote: you will see where MP 36 is. Its south of Waite Rd which had the bridge, if I remember right, wooden bridge, removed sometime in late 95's
Correction. After looking at Googleearth, going back to 1994, I now remember it was grade crossing. They removed it since there is a bridge not far from this grade crossing.

Center Rd.. Look like they changed the name from Sheridan Rd, which is MP 34.78
 #1468953  by sd80mac

charlie6017 wrote:Next time anyone goes down to Bayview, take a look at the milepost and you'll see it's 532 miles
to Chicago -- then take a look at the OTHER side and you'll see a "B" with the number 8 below it. :-D

Charlie
Now I do remember that... I forget all about that.
 #1468960  by lvrr325

The mile markers start over because the line from Buffalo was built by a separate railroad and merged into the NYC. Seems like the Erie does the same thing where their line to Chicago split from the original line to Dunkirk.
 #1469017  by NYCRRson

"In the 1990’s the dispatchers were not in Florida, they were in Selkirk."

Well perhaps I mixed up a few elements of the story, but there was a time when the dispatchers were quite removed from the local scene and did not have "first hand" knowledge of the weather conditions in Western New York.

I stand by my story of an empty coal train stalling going westbound up Byron Hill due to high eastbound winds.

There was also a TV train that was full of crackers (not people, but the baked goods folks put in their soup) that got spilled into Sandusky Bay (out in Ohio) during a high wind episode.

And the Double stack that was spilled west of Batavia just last year.

High winds can (on rare occasions) interfere with 'normal" railroad operations.

Cheers, Kevin
 #1469083  by rhallock

The Central had so many lines from so many companies I believe that they kept the letters designating the point of origin to help keep things straight. Although NY was used for both the main line and the West Shore line. The "old road" through Auburn used S (Syracuse), the Falls Road used R (Rochester), the Hojack used P (Pulaski), the line south into PA used L (Lyons), as noted,the Lake Shore main used B,the Canada Southern line used FE (Fort Erie) in Michigan I have seen D(Detroit) and J (Jackson), north of Utica U is used. The Erie used NY on the line to Dunkirk, but west on Salamanca on the old A&GW line S was used, and from Marion to Chicago M. B or Buf are on the Buffalo to Jamestown line. The mileposts with different mileages on each side are very old. There are a few on the Erie's Buffalo line with B on one side and NY on the other.
 #1469089  by nydepot

Don't forget the Erie's JC.
rhallock wrote:The Central had so many lines from so many companies I believe that they kept the letters designating the point of origin to help keep things straight. Although NY was used for both the main line and the West Shore line. The "old road" through Auburn used S (Syracuse), the Falls Road used R (Rochester), the Hojack used P (Pulaski), the line south into PA used L (Lyons), as noted,the Lake Shore main used B,the Canada Southern line used FE (Fort Erie) in Michigan I have seen D(Detroit) and J (Jackson), north of Utica U is used. The Erie used NY on the line to Dunkirk, but west on Salamanca on the old A&GW line S was used, and from Marion to Chicago M. B or Buf are on the Buffalo to Jamestown line. The mileposts with different mileages on each side are very old. There are a few on the Erie's Buffalo line with B on one side and NY on the other.
 #1469134  by sd80mac

NYCRRson wrote:"In the 1990’s the dispatchers were not in Florida, they were in Selkirk."

Well perhaps I mixed up a few elements of the story, but there was a time when the dispatchers were quite removed from the local scene and did not have "first hand" knowledge of the weather conditions in Western New York.

Cheers, Kevin
I believe that ubwere thinking of dispatchers switched dearborn and albany when CR redo their division and regional. I think CR did that when theu eliminated one regional or division. That might had changed dispatchers. I may be wrong.

Even through i dont have scanner for obviously reason, i knew that trains from either direction did stopped at certain spot and waiting for another dispatcher to entry their divisions. Cant rememmber if it was at cp5, lake rd or cp8 but i think it was cp8 bec of signal bridge.

Its been l ong time ago but its what i could remember as best as i can.
 #1469179  by erie2937

MP 36 is about a mile east of CP 37 which is about half a mile east of the Harrington Road grade crossing. It would also be west of the former grade crossing at Waite Road which was removed several years ago. Waite Road was always a grade crossing. The removed over head bridge out that way was at Newell Road which is also east of Harrington Road. CP 39 is at the former S.S. X which is where the Erie RR crossed the NYC(LS&MS) at Gazelle Street in Dunkirk.
 #1469222  by sd80mac

erie2937 wrote:MP 36 is about a mile east of CP 37 which is about half a mile east of the Harrington Road grade crossing. It would also be west of the former grade crossing at Waite Road which was removed several years ago. Waite Road was always a grade crossing. The removed over head bridge out that way was at Newell Road which is also east of Harrington Road. CP 39 is at the former S.S. X which is where the Erie RR crossed the NYC(LS&MS) at Gazelle Street in Dunkirk.
Yeah, like I mentioned, I corrected myself about grade crossing.