Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by brnxvill

Does anyone know of anywhere that a civilian can operate a locomotive? Is there a museum somewhere that would allow this for a fee? Is there any way to at least sit in a cab while underway?

by Otto Vondrak

Brnxvill- Engineer For an Hour (EFH) is modeled after successful programs at other railroad museums where civiilians are allowed to operate a locomotive in a controlled environment under the strict supervision of a trained instructor. The amount of instruction you get in one hour hardly qualifies you to operate a locomotive on your own, however, it's still a good experience. RMNE is the closest museum in our area that has such a program.

I think Portola Railroad Museum started the concept:
http://www.wplives.org/FRRS_Home/Run_A_ ... otive.html

And the NKP 765 group offers a similar program:
http://www.765.org/engineerhour.htm

If you only wish to have a cab ride, and you don't mind a little drive up to Rochester, the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad museum sponsors a weekend event every August called DIESEL DAYS. Museum visitors are invited to come ride our demonstration railroad, and we offer rides in cabooses, on the locomotive walkways (with supervision), or in the cab of any operating lcomotive.

http://www.rgvrrm.org/

-otto-

by oddball

danbury railway museum offers cab rides on the weekend too.
  by H.F.Malone

If you have any questions regarding RMNE's EFH program, please PM me. Also, RMNE does offer cab rides on the regular trains out of Thomaston; a signed liability release is required, and there is an additional $15 charge (yes, we do this to make money-- railroad preservation is not cheap).

by 4 Express

Ok, since we're talking about schools, I was thinking about going to a train-driving school similar to those avaition schools, does anybody here know of any in the New York City tri-state area?

And BTW, oddball, does the Danbury Rail Museum have a website or something?.

by roee

4 Express wrote:Ok, since we're talking about schools, I was thinking about going to a train-driving school similar to those avaition schools, does anybody here know of any in the New York City tri-state area?
Hmm, not that I know of in the tri-state area, but there is one in Sacremento.

But there are plenty of Conductor Schools around the country. While being a conductor will not certify you to run a locomotive, I bet most freight conductors have a basic understanding of how it's done.

by oddball

4 Express wrote:Ok, since we're talking about schools, I was thinking about going to a train-driving school similar to those avaition schools, does anybody here know of any in the New York City tri-state area?

And BTW, oddball, does the Danbury Rail Museum have a website or something?.
danbury railway museum link

http://www.danbury.org/drm/index.htm

and if your available to volunteer on the train rides on weekends, you can become an engineer after time.

etc

by Noel Weaver

The "Engineer for an Hour" program on the RMNE and the same programs on other railroads too are an important and significant source of badly needed funds for these organizations which have so many ways to use these funds and never have enough for everything that they want to do.

NHRR 529 at RMNE needs work although it is in good shape, perhaps
somebody on here has money to contribute for that or for the Thomaston
Shop or station or track or ?????.
I assume the individual who originally put this item on here is of age and
is interested in operating a locomotive. I have a good idea for you, go to
the RMNE and take a ride on the train, pick up a membership application
and fill it out, return it with a check for one year's membership. After you
have done that, get involved, volunteer, attend meetings and functions
and most important meet people. After you have done the previous, you
will have an opportunity to qualify as a brakeman or trainman/person and
you will have much opportunity to learn the rules, safety rules and basic
and advanced railroad proceedures. In time, you could qualify as a
conductor and take training to become an engineer there. It is time
consuming and it will require effort on your part but the end result would
be much more satisfying than just running a light engine for an hour.
I strongly urge you to give this some thought.
Noel Weaver

by Terminal Proceed

OK FOLKS!

1) First of all I want to inform the members of this forum that I am NOT a full time Moderator. Like you I VOLUNTEER to come to this site. I have a JOB and a LIFE. I don't sit at this computer 24/7 and wait for a post to come up so I can moderate it. I DO usually check in here several times a day before and after work. If something offensive is posted here - please send me either an email or PM and I will investigate it and deal with it. Don't post here beating your chest and wailing where is the moderator. Obviously, if an offensive post remains here for a little bit - I have not seen it yet. You may possibly have to endure the indignity of someone's post for 12 - 24 hours until I get a chance to review it and deal with it. Most of us are adults - deal with it. Threatining ME with legal action isn't gonna do a thing for you either.

2) As far as the questionable post that was here, I have spoken to the administrators of this website and the situation is being handled.

The individual in question has been dealt with privately and those terms will NOT be discussed here.

3) The original offending post has been deleted and I have also edited subsequent posts which made reference to it. There is no reference here as to what transpired so that the topic was able to go back to original tack & intention. If you are one of the posts that was edited or deleted, I do apologize, but you had your say, and in the interest of harmony and bringing this thread back together again I did what needed to be done.

4) To those of you who do not know what happened - your loss. It will not be discussed here in open forum again.

5) I have now UNLOCKED the thread for it's continued ORIGINAL intention. Any re-hashing of what took place will result in DELETION of the thread in its entirety.

6) Sorry for my rant - I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Kevin

by JoeG

If you want to run a steam locomotive, look at this. It was written up in Trains recently. I signed up for next spring.
Polish steam engine trip

by Noel Weaver

Terminal Proceed wrote:OK FOLKS!

1) First of all I want to inform the members of this forum that I am NOT a full time Moderator. Like you I VOLUNTEER to come to this site. I have a JOB and a LIFE. I don't sit at this computer 24/7 and wait for a post to come up so I can moderate it. I DO usually check in here several times a day before and after work. If something offensive is posted here - please send me either an email or PM and I will investigate it and deal with it. Don't post here beating your chest and wailing where is the moderator. Obviously, if an offensive post remains here for a little bit - I have not seen it yet. You may possibly have to endure the indignity of someone's post for 12 - 24 hours until I get a chance to review it and deal with it. Most of us are adults - deal with it. Threatining ME with legal action isn't gonna do a thing for you either.

2) As far as the questionable post that was here, I have spoken to the administrators of this website and the situation is being handled.

The individual in question has been dealt with privately and those terms will NOT be discussed here.

3) The original offending post has been deleted and I have also edited subsequent posts which made reference to it. There is no reference here as to what transpired so that the topic was able to go back to original tack & intention. If you are one of the posts that was edited or deleted, I do apologize, but you had your say, and in the interest of harmony and bringing this thread back together again I did what needed to be done.

4) To those of you who do not know what happened - your loss. It will not be discussed here in open forum again.

5) I have now UNLOCKED the thread for it's continued ORIGINAL intention. Any re-hashing of what took place will result in DELETION of the thread in its entirety.

6) Sorry for my rant - I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Kevin
GOOD JOB, THANKS

Noel Weaver

by 4 Express

oddball wrote:danbury railway museum link

http://www.danbury.org/drm/index.htm

and if your available to volunteer on the train rides on weekends, you can become an engineer after time.
roee wrote:Hmm, not that I know of in the tri-state area, but there is one in Sacremento.

But there are plenty of Conductor Schools around the country. While being a conductor will not certify you to run a locomotive, I bet most freight conductors have a basic understanding of how it's done.
Thanks guys. I can tell I'm going to like the Danbury museum.

by oddball

Thanks guys. I can tell I'm going to like the Danbury museum.[/quote]

You definately will! I work there as a conductor and brakeman on the weekends (whenever I get a day off..which now is not very often at all) and I have a great time! I started training as an engineer on the RDC but I havent been around enough lately to go much farther with it...hopefully soon though. And at 22, Im no expert at all..but a few people here are, and they have helped me out a great deal.

by Fred G

JoeG wrote:If you want to run a steam locomotive, look at this. It was written up in Trains recently. I signed up for next spring.
Polish steam engine trip
That sounds really cool, but for those who want to operate a steam locomotive more locally, try the Valley RR in Essex, CT. Here's a link to their guest operator program: http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/throttle.html
  by lkorotzer

The Gold Coast Railroad Museum in Miami offers an Engineer for a Day. In addition, on weekends they offer cab rides in their freight engine. You can check this out on their website.

Also, I believe that the Danbury Museum in Conn. has an operations program. You need to be a member of that museum and go through their program. They are also on the internet.

Many museums that offer passenger rides, sometimes will allow a customer to pay extra for a cab ride. If you are planning on visiting any museum, it's best to call ahead to see if they offer the option. Many don't offer the ability to ride in the cab because of liability.

Good Luck