• Where are the movies of Harold S Ludlow?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NKP1155

I've seen many Harold Ludlow photos of the NYC west of Cleveland, but was surprised to find out he made motion pictures of the NYC & Nickel Plate, as well. Do any of you know what may have happened to his movies? WJP
  by Noel Weaver

Years ago he was a very active participant with Rail Photo Service which was founded and run by Engineer H. W. Pontin from the Boston and Albany Division of the New York Central. I suspect Rail Photo Service may have ended up with his photos but I do not know what happened to the Rail Photo Service collection upon Brother Pontin's passing. I have a bunch of Rail Photo Service Newsletters somewhere here and maybe I can gather something from them but that will take a long time for me to find out.
Noel Weaver
  by dcm74

Noel Weaver wrote:Years ago he was a very active participant with Rail Photo Service which was founded and run by Engineer H. W. Pontin from the Boston and Albany Division of the New York Central. I suspect Rail Photo Service may have ended up with his photos but I do not know what happened to the Rail Photo Service collection upon Brother Pontin's passing. I have a bunch of Rail Photo Service Newsletters somewhere here and maybe I can gather something from them but that will take a long time for me to find out.
Noel Weaver
Did some checking with some people who dealt with Rail Photo Service. It appears that after Pontin's death in 1973 the collection was split up and went in several directions. A portion went to the 470 Club in Maine, some was purchased by the Railroad Negative Exchange in California and a portion ended up in the Canadian National Archives in Ottawa. Other portions of the collection may have gone elsewhere.