Railroad Forums 

• When/why was Chelsea, NY (Hudson Div.) station closed?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#104437  by Nester

Can anyone tell me when/why the Chelsea Station was closed. I would assume that it was because of low ridership, but there could be a more interesting story.

I can tell from on-board receipts that the station lasted into the Penn Central era, but I cannot find any information about it beyond the mid-60s on the internet.

In case anyone is curious, Chelsea is a hamlet along the Hudson River that is north of Beacon and south of New Hamburg.

Nester

#105727  by metroduff

I would suggest you post this question on the New York Central and/or Penn Central forums, since this is a pre-Metro-North question.

#106349  by MN Jim

Chelsea existed as a flag stop in the November 28, 1972 timetable, but was gone from the July 2, 1973 timetable. I don't believe there was an intermediate timetable issued, but I won't swear to that.

Interestingly, there are two different Hudson Line timetables dated November 28, 1972. I haven't compared the schedules, but the covers are of completely different designs. I don't see anything in the copy that would indicate a revised date.

Since the last timetable with Chelsea as a station stop only shows flag stops there, I'd assume it was closed due to low ridership.

New Hamburg also disappeared with the July 2, 1973 timetable.

Jim
 #106655  by The Old Man

PennCentral removed a lot of station stops which the distance between the before and after stops were to close most of these stops were flag stops or other wise known as stop on Friday to drop off and stop on Monday to pick up. For an example there were two stops on the New Cannan Branch, Springdale Cemetery (MP 3.90) and Woodway (MP 4.87) These two stations were between Springdale (MP 3.57) and Talmadge Hill (MP 5.72). The run time being 2 minutes between stations. There were a couple of others but I don’t have them in hand at this time. This may answer in part some of your question.