Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by bingdude

I read an article from 1960 that said there were 60 thousand conductors and no two punches looked alike. It's kind of hard to believe. Especially when I have had an Amtrak conductor and a LIRR conductor that had the same heart shaped die in their punches.

Both were women, too.

:wink:

by mkm4

bingdude wrote:I read an article from 1960 that said there were 60 thousand conductors and no two punches looked alike. It's kind of hard to believe. Especially when I have had an Amtrak conductor and a LIRR conductor that had the same heart shaped die in their punches.

Both were women, too.

:wink:
They could have been different sizes.

by bingdude

Yes the might be different sizes. If it is it would be slight--about the same as the difference between 10 and 12 point type. I don't think I have any stubs from the LIRR gal to compare, I think I have the Amtrak one (I used it as a bookmark).

by Terminal Proceed

Yes they very well may be different sizes.

I noticed one day that there is a MN conductor who has the exact same punch shape as mine. When we compared the two side by side - my punch left a slightly larger mark than his did.

Kevin