Railroad Forums 

• Whats up DL&W, Batavia?

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#667711  by Challenger3985

So a few weeks ago I wandered to Batavia to do some Main Line fanning. I decided to take Route 98 and to my surprise they are in the middle of laying sewers. Taking the single lane road south I reached the grade cross of the DL&W and noticed a lot of work is underway.

So I will leave it to the images and my narrations for my questions if anyone would be kind to let everyone know whats going on. Much appreciated!

Note: GVT's round house. A lot of activity going on outside. I am unsure of what is actually being done here

Note: For some reason they are getting ready to double track the line back over the bridge. There is track on the other side which is used by the city to empty trash or metal into trash hoppers.

Note: New rail, new ties are now placed on the west side of route 98. As you can see, more work will be done. I visited other loactions throughout batavia and this was the only area that seems that work is going to be done on. Are they looking to do any other track work like the yard?

Again, Thanks guys for any information.
Enjoy the pictures!
 #669136  by Farmer Joe

What's going on there is the State DOT is re doing Rt 98 in that part of town. There's going to be a traffic cricle up the road a bit too. GVT is probably getting a new grade crossing on Rt 98 from all this. I heard the possibility of it having gates and lights so the crew won't have to flag the crossing like they've currently been doing. The new ties and rails might be for the crossing too. Maybe things are just plain worn out and they have a chance to fix things. I've got to get that way to check things out. The GVT is busy with Thomas this weekend so they may not chime in on this for a while.

I have no idea what's going on by the engine house.

Joe
 #675308  by Challenger3985

Oh cool. I need go down here to check it out soon. Wonder how the progress is coming.