Railroad Forums 

• What is the color test consist of for trainservice?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#28154  by freshmeat

For the BNSF you'll need to be able to pass a color vision test in order to be hired. As far as working, you'll need to know red, green, yellow and white. In service, you'll need to know what the colors mean as well as combinations of colors such as red over green, red over yellow and so forth.

Good luck.
 #28198  by deb963

freshmeat wrote:For the BNSF you'll need to be able to pass a color vision test in order to be hired. As far as working, you'll need to know red, green, yellow and white. In service, you'll need to know what the colors mean as well as combinations of colors such as red over green, red over yellow and so forth.

Good luck.
Does this vision color test apply the same for union pacific? I know my colors red ,green, yellow and the basic colors. But have hard time with shaded colors like brown with black cant distinguish. Im hoping that the color test will be easy like the red green yellow color.Will they still hire me if i know my basic colors? Please explain!!

#28244  by noviholt

The eye test for UP uses cards with different color numbers and lines mixed in with other colors. You have to be able to be able to see which number is being displayed on each card. Also, you will have to be able to distinguish and follow different color lines with your finger.

#28251  by KarlJ

[deleted]
Last edited by KarlJ on Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #28257  by deb963

Once they call you that you are hired, Cause they tell you to wait for the phone call. The next day day is the color vision test. What about if you fail the color test? Does this mean no job!!

#28344  by noviholt

If you fail the test you will not be hired.

#28451  by KarlJ

[deleted]
Last edited by KarlJ on Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#28466  by jg greenwood

The same test (color blindness) used today was in use in 1966. IIRC, there's 17 different numbers that have to be identified.

#28494  by route_rock

Ok here it is.The color test for railroads is damn near the same as the military.You look at a card the majority is red bubble like things and the number(lets just make it up)29 in the middle is in a redish yellow you have to pick out the number now the shading is all bright colors no black to brown.You will get enough to prove you know green red yellow.If you can do that no problem.This test always scares the hell out of people but if it is like the military one it is a piece of cake if you just calm down.p.s. I have taken this test over 30 times because of Military physicals,railroad physicals and even truck driving physicals.The 29 always looks like a 28 to me and if you have passed all the other ones they usually say what number is that?If they do you usually get another shot(but only one)Youll do just fine hope to see you on the high iron.