Railroad Forums 

• What if NY&A had....

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #659298  by RPM2Night

Why trailing units? Would this be so they wouldn't have to be fitted with a speed control package?
 #659314  by Mr GP10

GP-40s are heavier then GP-38-2s so they aint coming here LOL. I doubt NYA wants ASC on any "new arrivals" if you will. I think what the LIRC may send is the 4 GP-16s or 3 GP-11s. I doubt the GP-39s. or the 101 GP-7PHL and the 103 GP-9E. PS where would the GP-40s come from if they were to obtain any? :-)
 #659326  by ncvab

Mr GP10 wrote:GP-40s are heavier then GP-38-2s so they aint coming here LOL. I doubt NYA wants ASC on any "new arrivals" if you will. PS where would the GP-40s come from if they were to obtain any? :-)
I'm only talking aboat road power. Don't know what they'd get for yard/branch work.

A GP40 is only three tons heavier than a GP38-2, so stop LOL.

No ASC required, to be used exclusively as a "B" unit to give road freights a boost.

Plenty of GP40's are available on the lease market.
 #659375  by Scrap em Again

Damn you guys are taking this engine crap to the levels of insanity. Mr GP10..........dude, we dont need any more 1950's junk. Get over that GP-7 thru GP-35 shit. It will never be leased or purchased by NYA again.

The 9373 is stored, servicible, and can be re-activated within a day if it needs to be. Traffic is a little low now so theres no need for it.The new CMO is a master at what he does. All our engines have not run as good as they run now. The new speed control systems are a charm!.

All I can say is that nothing from our current fleet is being retired, runs good. There is something brewing, if that goes thru, there will be need for at least 3 well maintained units equipped with dynamic brakes. If it fails, get used to seeing the same crap for a very, very,very long time.
 #659379  by SOO4601

Hey Scrap,

Nice to hear from ya again.

Do all of the ex-LI engines have that new speed control system now? Awhile back I saw 261 in Pond and it had its ASC box torn out, so I assume that's what's happening with the rest of the stuff.
 #659432  by deandremouse

did any of the big guys in charge of thus consider bringing back 2 or 3 GP38-2s From LLPX. ( you know the original LIRR geeps.) and if that fails lease from GMTX of CSX & NS?
Pretty soon LIRR MP15ACs will leave Long Island and be phased out by BL20GHs and I'm pretty sure more hand me downs from LIRR will piss us all off.

And scrap GP30s and higher are 2nd gen stuff ( GP30s have more power but not as reliable)
 #659468  by Mr GP10

GP-35s? lol ok 3 more engines. Maybe some GP-40s are good? Maybe those will work. New ASC whats this all about? Can you Please keep us updated as to what you hear about this?
 #659469  by Mr GP10

I hit post to soon. lol. Dynamic brakes? doesnt the current stuff have that? I guess not. Scrap if you have a chance can you please send me a PM? Thanks.
 #659499  by ncvab

Scrap em Again wrote:There is something brewing, if that goes thru, there will be need for at least 3 well maintained units equipped with dynamic brakes.
Yes, the "something brewing" will stun the railfan community. Hope it works out.
 #659647  by emfinite

Wow, I love how everyone just makes up their own stories. The LIRR MP15s are being retired huh? Think again. LIRR won't allow GP40s because of their weight? Anyone ever look up the weight stats on a DE/DM30? Those passenger engines are much heavier than a GP40, almost 60,000 lbs more.

LLPX has the ex-LIRR GP38s because they had first rights to them when the LIRR was ready to sell them. The four that NYAR has are still owned by LIRR with a lease to NYAR, that's why they weren't required to go back to EMD/LLPX. All of the ex-LIRR LLPX units are either on the West Coast of the United States, in Maine or Canada. There are PLENTY of other places to get worn out old GP38s that are MUCH closer to Long Island.

There are NO plans right now for the LIRR to purchase BL20GHs. There is absolutely NO funding for it. That comes straight from someone in the know.

By the way, I don't think the LIRR MP15s would piss anyone off. They run quite well and I'm sure they would be a welcome sight to NYAR crews. They are maintained very well and run surprisingly well for being ran in continuous passenger service for the past 32 years (even as P-units).

Guys, please leave it up to Scrap Em Again to tell us what is happening with the Company. He knows best out of everyone here.
Last edited by emfinite on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #659702  by DogBert

whatever it is, hope it works out. scrap, thanks for the 411 on that sw1200... good to know it's just stored & not dead.
 #659736  by Scrap em Again

This is the reason NYA guys dont post here anymore, most just dont give a flying ---- anymore, and I just popped in, trying to bring some new info, but this is getting carried away by rabid railfans. Back into the abyss for me!!

I will post the engine types, and road #'s when I see them being towed into F. Pond by either CSX or CP, If they ever. The details are still being ironed out by NYA. So just be patient.

Till then............
 #659743  by tushykushy

Scrap, is this the same ASC system that is in the 156 that is being retrofitted into the remaining road engines? I thought it was pretty cool when I saw it.

Just to add to all the odd ball rumors here - NYAR is in the works with working out a deal with Metro North Railroad to aquire a few of their GP35-R's since the BL20's are now replacing their switchers. And since the Fl9's are retired, there is also an option to use the 4 F units painted in the McGinnis paint scheme to haul the stone train from now on. :wink: